Existing Member?

World Adventure

Athens again

GREECE | Sunday, 3 May 2009 | Views [703]

Hi All,

We did some checks to make sure the train system was running before heading off on the bus and the trip went quickly with a good view of the Corinth channel. We caught the bus to the metro and found that one line was closed but the one to the train station was still working. We arrived at the train station only to find that the trains weren’t running due to a strike which was annoying as we could have staying in the nafplio region for some more sight seeing. However there was another option and we headed to catch the bus to bus station B. Unfortunately there was a rally and the buses were not running in the area but about 30min later they started up and all buses apart from the one we wanted turned up. Time was getting away and I was getting more and more agitated. Vanessa found a bus that was supposed to drop us off near the station but there was a communication problem and we were dropped off at a museum. More time lost and I was more agitated. We caught the next bus and asked the driver where the original bus should be going. He dropped us off at the next stop and pointed over in the distance. We found the stop and waited… and waited… and finally asked another bus and found that our bus wasn’t running. That was enough for me. Extremely agitated. Defeated. What a waste of time.

We decided to stay in Athens at the place we had booked for Saturday night. When we got closer to the address we noticed a lot of African and other immigrants and police warned us not to go down the street. One problem. Our hotel was in the middle of the street. They probably were harmless but it felt like we were going to be robbed any second but we arrived with no drama and booked a room. Not going out after dark around here.

There was an explicit instruction not to cook in the room so I setup on the balcony and started cooking with the burner. Lucky as it broke down with a blockage and needed some work. Better to find out before our trip to the islands. The fuel is not good but we manage to cook.

Day 2.

Day trip to Rafina. Supposed to be good for calamari but we didn’t see it and the only ferry running was to a nearby island. It was nice to walk by the water and watch the fish but the dockside restaurants were too expensive and we couldn’t find a fish and chip shop so no calamari for us. We watched a ferry come and go before heading down to the beach and then up to town where we watched a mini soccer game. The weather was threatening to rain so we headed back to Athens and ran the gauntlet of the migrants before getting to the hotel again.

I sat on the balcony fixing the burner with a stream of clothes showering down nearby from a nearby building. Spring clean or maybe lovers tiff? Finally got it working and have some new fuel.

The receptionist and I chatted over a ouzo. He lived in Port Adelaide for 7 years before getting homesick and returning to Athens.

Another greek salad for dinner.

Bye,

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.