Existing Member?

World Adventure

Nafplio

GREECE | Sunday, 3 May 2009 | Views [823]

Hi All,

We arrived with no map and no information. Don’t they get tourists around this place? Vanessa stayed with the packs and I went walking around to find tourist information and found an information booth that was closed. Another trip around the old town and still nothing so we went for a walk and found some el cheapo accommodation. It was super retro and lost in time. The bed base even had springs in the base and the mattress was probably the same one that came with it. Hmm. Well at least we had a balcony and a view of the impressive fortress on the hill near the town. It was an odd setup as the reception with wifi and screaming macaw was 100m way.

The town is an old venitian town from the days when Venice ruled the area. The whole area is fortified and even a small island near the town has it’s own fort.

The old town was quite nice and we walked completely around the headland to the fortress but declined to climb up to it as it was quite warm. There were a lot of steps!

We wandered to the ugly new town and found an information place which provided a little information and we headed off to the supermarket for some supplies before wandering back along the waterfront.

We booked a ferry to Mykonos for Sunday and accommodation in Athens for Saturday night. The next day plan was to head up to Meteora to look at the famous monasteries perched on pinnacles.

Day 2.

Difficult decision day. Stay in area or go to Meteora…

1 May is labour day so there is much closed but the transport system is supposed to be running.

We walked up to the entrance of the fortress for some great views before catching a bus to Athens.

Bye,

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.