Existing Member?

OutandAbout Don't sweat the petty stuff, and whatever you do, don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Wonders of the World

PERU | Wednesday, 26 September 2007 | Views [526] | Comments [1]

WARNING: Those who are having a shite time at work are advised to read no further as it may invoke feelings of extreme disenchantment - the results of reading this may be an ill advised letter of resignation followed by an equally ill advised purchase of a plane ticket to South America.

Two amazing highlights to report on folks - the four day Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu and a five day trip into Manu National Park (the most biodiverse national park in the world (I think that slightly beats having the steepest street in the world!).  Add in some comedy spanish lessons, some guinea pig and the craziest butchers we have ever seen (cows lips anyone?) and it has all added up to a pretty interesting couple of weeks.  It is about to get more interesting tomorrow as we head off with a shaman and a load of San Pedro for the day (hallucinogenic cactus used in these parts for physical and emotional healing).

The Inca trail was great - fabulous views all the way and not too much of a feeling of being one of 500 people on the track (apart from the last night when everybody camps together) - the whole group thing was as interesting as ever - four stroppy brazilians and two sex mad irish lads were the highlights.  Somewhat harder work than we thought although slow and smug was our motto as we carried all our gear and everybody else had extra porters carrying up to 18kg of their extra clothes (porters who had permanently bent backs and carried 25kg loads up wearing shorts and sandals - at times it was all a bit much).

Macchu Picchu itself is stunning - the buildings are incredible but what really blew us both away was the setting - on a flat bit (I think that is the technical outdoor term) between two big mountains and surrounded by range after range of rainforested mountains.

We have just returned from a 5 day trip to Manu National Park.  Once again, superlatives do not do the place justice - it was fab - boat trips down rivers and in lakes looking for monkeys, giant otters, jaguars, caimans and capybaras (50kg guinea pigs) plus loads and loads of ace birds - google Hoatzin and you will see what I mean) - me and ness are now confirmed twitchers and will be investing in all manner of telescopes and binoculars when we get home!

Culinary highlights so far include guinea pig (memorably compared to KFC by Vanessa), alpaca (cutesy llama looking thing) and ceviches (spicy raw fish - eaten by Dave for breakfast).  We also have a new value rating for food - cost of dinner divided by how long it stays in your body - the smaller the number the better - ness is definitely getting worse value than me at the moment!

We leave the gringo infested Cusco on sat and head to Huaraz to organise a 12 day trek in the Cordillera Huayhuash - described by the guide book as a trek that "throws down the gauntlet to even the hardiest of trekkers" - should be interesting - i didnt really want to do it but ness is making me - 11 passes over 4500m.

Those of you that know us know our aversion to technology - hence the reason that no photos of us have appeared (its either that or the fact that I have grown a stupid looking goatee and ness has not washed her hair for 12 days) - we promise that once general ablutions have occurred we will post some photos.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

Don't quite know how to respond to your wild adventures only to let you know that I am fully informed. Any news I have to report sounds trivial and boring so I'll save you. Only to say I love you both loads and keep on having a brilliant time. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Elinor Seath Sep 29, 2007 6:07 AM

About davenness


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.