Existing Member?

Darcy Down Under

"Bringing heaven down to earth, where the unexpected lies"

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 29 September 2013 | Views [1249]

 

Sydney Concert Debut:

RLandTali

(The Beautiful Rivka Leah, Taliah Bloom, and myself)

Rivka Leah was visiting Sydney for a 2 night concert engagement. Along with our great kite flying adventure, we made alot of music and didn't do alot of sleeping. haha! After a night jamming until 2 am I was lucky enough to be invited to join her and Taliah in concert. It was such an honor! The day of the show Taliah flew in from Melbourne and we had a quick rehearsal.

Jammin

(Practice studio, complete with kids everwhere)

 After quickly learning the songs and making up percussion parts, I made my Sydney concert debut! I was introduced as a "multi-talented instrumentalist", which was awesome.  The performance was complete with the hand written set list--scribbled down in the green room seconds before we went on.

SetList

The second night, Rivka Leah asked me to play a bassoon solo. I still can't believe I actually did it! I got such great feedback and it was honestly the first bassoon solo I have every played without freaking out. I didn't shake, but just shared music. I don't know who I am anymore. Afterwards people wanted to get pictures of me with all the instruments and someone got this. Think I have enough toys?

MusicMan

("[S]he's a what, [s]he's a what? [S]he's a music man!")

 

Sukkot in St. Ives:


My dear friend Leora invited me to join her family for Sukkot is St. Ives! By the end of the 3 days I was a part of the family. Leora and her sisters truly become my sisters and new family! We had the best 3 days and I shared meals with the most beautiful people. It was the best "vacation" to the North!

This was the beautiful Sukkah:

Sukkah 

And my beautiful friend:

Leora

 

Carins:

Ocean View

After a few months of work, it was time for a holiday! My boss closed the office for 4 days, so I called up Karen, we booked the flights, and we went to Carins. It was GORGEOUS! and I got to see summer for the first time in a year. It was in the 80s and sunny the whole time. SUNSHINE!!!!!!! We decided to do the tourist thing and go on a snorkle and dive boat. We got up with the sun and went out to the Great Barrier Reef. It was my first time snorkling and I did not know that things that color actually existed. The water was so clear and the colors were amazing. I also got to go scuba diving for the first time. Not only that, I got to do 2 dives. 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Breathing under water was a dream come true! I got to be a fish!!!!! 

Underwater

(SCUBA!!!!) 

 

The next day, we decided to hire a car and go on an epic road trip. I happen to dislike touristy group travel and love do-it-yourself road trip adventures! I decided that the best way to start the day would be with a bungy jump! Logical, right?

The Tower

(The Tower) 

I had no fear! Got strapped in, shuffled to the end (while singing "everyday i'm shufflin"), and in 5,4,3,2,1 I did a huge jump---back straight, arms out, and screaming with delight!

Jump

It was exhilerating and i'm so glad I did it! The freefall was unlike anything I have ever felt. I also got props for my form from the people working there. They were a little shocked it was my first time.

 

Bungy

(The after pic! All smiles :) )

 

We got back in our little red car and hit the road 

HireCar

We drove up the coast to Port Douglas. It was beautful driving up the coast!

carview

 We went to Mossman Gorge, the Daintree rain forest,and came back through the table lands. Had more fun driving backwards and we lived!

country

 

At a cafe I also saw a guy wearing a U dub hat and had to ask him if it was real. Oh yeah! Spotted another Dawg Down Under! We talked football for a bit and it turns out he is a huge fan of the Band and has met Dr. McDavid. I got them to let me take a picture. Dubs up!

DawgsDownUnder

 

So what does an adventuring kosher paleo girl eat on vaction?

I'm glad you asked! I packed a good snack bag from Sydney with Meat and potatoes (haha) and then bought veg and fruit fresh at the store.

After Scuba, nothing beat a steak "burger". Yep. Kale bun. Dats how I roll.

Burger

Also, Note the kosher,gluten-free cider. It was on tap at the hostel bar. First and last time I expect that to happen, but it was a win!  My after scuba meal was complete with a drink :)

For lunch I enjoyed picnics that looked like this:

 Picnic

 

 

 

Also, on a completely unrealted note,

I couldn't make a blog post without posting this picture that I saw in the airport bathroom, LOL. 

signage

 

 

Other Musings:

food

I'm part of a paleo group and a few of us met up for brunch at my favorite spot, Earth to Table. It's an entire menu of Darcy-friendly food. Yes. Look at those nom noms. I know you want some!

friends

 (The lovely ladies)

We had a great time and also discussed our daily routines which was fun. Turns out we all do weird things like oil pulling, yoga, and food fermenting. I also got some great tips for homemade sunscreen, shampoo, conditioner, and deoderant (which I tried out with great skepticism). But actually, they have all been rediculously awesome. I think i'm now entirely chemical free and loving it! I know I am going waaayyyy tree hugger here, but i'm pretty sure you can do everything with baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil. Between those 3 things all things are possible. If you are interested, I reccommmend you check out these links :

Homemade sunscreen - http://korduroy.tv/shows/health-nuts/sunburn-basics

Homemade deodorant - http://cavegirleats.com/2011/04/29/the-stank-has-left-the-building/

Baking soda and apple cider vinegar to replace shampoo and conditioner - http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-your-hair-without-shampoo/ 

 

I also just realized I have failed to post about my new project!!!! Garden meet the blog; Blog, Garden. :D

littleGarden

(It was a little overcast on photo day, but it looks beautiful in the sunlight)

Thats right, this is my playground! Name a veg. It's probably in here! Name a fruit, there's a good chance. Lemon trees, tomatoes, capsicums, peas, parsely, carrots, cucumbers, celery, potatoes, zucchini, onions, leeks, spinach, kale, silverbeet, pumpkin, passion fruit, blueberries, and strawberries. The plants are still young and so it will be a while until we have food, but i'll post pictures as it grows.  How did I get such a fun new toy? Our Big Kitchen is a non-profit organization and they decided to team up with BJE to plant a garden. That way, the kitchen can use the food to cook with for their programs. While they had a bunch of kids to plant the garden initially, they were looking for a caretaker. I jumped at the chance to have a bunch of dirt to play in and plants to talk to! We had a blast planting and now everyday I get to unwind and watch the sunset, while I walk barefoot and care for the plants. 

yes blog, I am officially a tree hugger. and I feel pretty darn ok about it :D

...to wherever my adventure waits!

 

 

About darcyleggett


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.