Existing Member?

Darcy Down Under

"yes, I lose myself in you. Yeah, I lose myself in you"

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 9 September 2013 | Views [467]

And by you, I mean the momement, the music, and my awesome life! Here are the highlights from the week:

Fat Freddy's Drop Concert 3/9/2013:

FFD

 

 

I got to see one of my favorite bands live and got lost in the moment for their entire 2.5 hour set! It was an absolutely incredible night. I would say that the first 45min were some of the best live music I have seen. After that, they lost it a little bit. But it was still really good. 

SignDarcy and the Marquee

I was excited for the show, but wouldn't call myself a "die hard" fan. So I decided that I would have a dinner out in the CBD with one of my girlfriends, show up 15 min before show time and just enjoy being part of the crowd.  As I walked up to the theater I ran into some friends, by total chance. It turned out that a group of them had been there since the doors opened and had saved a bunch of space--dead center at the front of the floor. They invited me to join and I of course accepted. So this was my view:

FullFrontalHornsFull frontal horns!

Second row. Dead center. Boom.

It was a sold out show too, so the theater was PACKED. I somehow scored the best seats in the house without even trying. It was the center of everything. We had such a good time dancing and singing. I haven't danced with that many strangers or with that much energy in too long! It was so needed!

PanoramaPanorama

We took this photo 30min in and it pretty much captures what we looked like all night. That is pure joy radiating from our faces. PURE JOY!It was such a good night out!

Smiles

Quick reflection on some differences I noticed between Seattle shows and this show. First, the show had one warm up set for 30min and then Fat Freddy's played for 2.5 hours. 2.5hours?!?!?! That has to be one of the longest sets I have seen. The cross section of society this band pulled was also interesting. There were 15 year olds and 75 year olds and every age in between. There were business dudes and hippies. Sorostitute types and classy mature ladies. Hadn't seen anything quite like it before and it was hilarious. Also, if you know the type of music this band plays, I expected everyone to be under the influence of something. I felt like if we were in Seattle people would have been in a very different state of mind. However, the majority of people around were sober and enjoying a drink or two. Interesting thing was that they were enjoying them in the theater. There was no deliniation between alcohol zone and "all ages" zone.*Gasp* haha. The picture below captures the floor at the end of the night. Hadn't seen something like that before. But what was cool is that it didn't seem like anyone dropped anything with liquid still in it. Everyone was so nice. Overall, that was the biggest shock--everyone was so nice. People weren't pushing and elbowing and shoving. Even though the place was packed we still had plenty of room to groove. That was great too--everyone was grooving with strangers. It really was a group dance party. I wasn't prepared for all the love but Sydney, you sure know how to host a show.

postShowPost show trash out

 

 

 

Baking for Rosh Hashana:

window

Peach "cobbler" cooling in the window

challa

Challah and Apple Pies in the oven

Happy 5774! This weekend we rang in the new year and I made some yummies! L'shanna Tova to all of you! May it be a very sweet year! My paleo baking is getting more adventurous and more delicious.

Peaches

I found my first peaches of the year and decided to try and make a cobbler.

Dear Peaches,

I missed you. Glad we are again aquainted :D

Love,

Darcy

Cobbler

 

 

Festival of the Winds:

kites

"Let's go fly a kite..."

Festival of the winds is a kite flying festival at Bondi Beach. It is a one day festival and so I went and spent the afternoon. As you can see below, we had such a good time, we ended up staying until the sunset.

kiteRLkite

Got a corny Australia flag and had a great day flying it on the beach with my dear friend Rivka Leah!

 

...to wherever my adventure waits!

About darcyleggett


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.