Existing Member?

Darcy Down Under

“I don’t where it’s going, but I like it like it is"

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 23 July 2013 | Views [411] | Comments [1]

I have now lived in Sydney for 5 weeks and in those 5 weeks I feel like I have become a new person. Life seems to have a funny way of taking me places I never thought I would go (*cough Sydney cough*) and having me do things I never thought I would do (see below). I’ve decided to stop trying to plan for the future and instead to really just appreciate all the cool opportunities I discover.

 

So, If I had to write a new profile explanation here is how Darcy 22.0 would read:

 

I’m Dassi and I live in Sydney Australia. I work as a Secretary/Administrative assistant for a Jewllery (yes that is how they spell it here) company in the CBD. I like to go to Shiurs in the evening and cook really awesome food. I love to be outside. And I am really happy.

 

I officially have my first “grown-up” job! Which is fun and exciting. It is not what I thought I would be doing, but as afore mentioned , I’m just going with the opportunity. The music teaching thing just really didn’t happen. Like REALLY didn’t happen. I fought with every fiber (or fibre :P) I could. For those who wished to be bored by this tale, here you go:

 

At first, operation public school started well. I got certification and had all the paperwork sent in. I was told to just wait for an interview. But then, I got an email a few days later that there was this paperwork change and something going on with the bureaucracy that is teach.NSW and so they said once they figured it out they would call for an interview. I’m still waiting (insert jeopardy theme here)… to be called for an interview so I can get in the sub pool system. And yes I called them back every week to ask and their answer was to just keep waiting. So Australia… eh…about that whole “we need teachers” “it’s so easy” thing…

Any way, when operation public school seemed dim, I moved on to operation private school. I applied to 2 private schools looking for music teachers and never heard back. At the same time, I also started operation private lessons. I sent out e-mails to 30 schools within commuting distance of my house that had music programs to see about working with them or teaching private music lessons after school. I put up posts on the proverbial craigslists. I sent out e-mails to listserves for the Jewish community. I even put up fliers around the area. After all that, I only got 1 interested person. Really, life didn’t want me to teach music. 

In the mean time, I was approached by a very kind man at shul who said he knew someone who was looking for a secretary. So, I decided to interview for the job. Pro tip: phone interviews are a win. I sat on the beach and spoke to some people in Israel. 1 Shabbos later, I had a job offer. After some pretty intense contract negotiations (which so far it seems I did rather well at) and waiting for the 9 days to be over, I officially started work last week! I am working for a startup Australian office of an Israeli jewellery company, or should I say JEWellery company. My employer is religious and therefore closes for all Jewish holidays. Yes. We also only work a ½ day on Friday because they want everyone to be set for Shabbos. Yes Yes. What an awesome situation! Also, the view from my office is pretty fitting, haha.

Office

View2

My first full-time job contract:

 contract

Other than that I haven’t done anything too exciting since my last post. I've been doing home-y and crafty things. I've been making alot of home fermented foods like saurkraut and yoghurt. I have made alot of yummy coconut milk yogurt with the free coconuts I get from BU Organics.

cocoyo

We also had a girls pottery painting night out hosted by the lovely Sara-Tova! I’ll try to put a picture up when we get the stuff back, but here is the pre-firing picture of my candle stick:

Pottery

 

The Sydney community also had an awesome Tu B’Av (Jewish valentines day) party. It was a traffic light party at a fun bar. They had glow sticks and drinks and there were about 200 jewish young adults. I have never seen so many people of that age range in one place at one time. As the Aussies would say, it was hectic. I had really good time meeting people and seeing the community I am now a part of.

 

I’ll also end this post with something I have been meaning to do for a while,

The 6 Biggest Australia vs. USA differences I have noticed so far:

 1. Everyone here uses an umbrella. No one, and I mean no one wears, owns, or really knows what a rain jacket is. They all dress super cute and use an umbrella.

2. There is no such thing as J-walking. You cross the street where you want, when you want,no questions asked. People here actually don't know what J-walking is or that you can get a ticket for it in the US. The first day I couldn't find any where to legally cross the street and I was so confused. Now I just walk across the road like everyone else.

 3. Radio stations suck. There are 4 "top 40" stations, 2 "classic rock" stations, and some talk radio. They don't know the alt. rock genre. Thank you tunein app for getting me US radio.

 4. There is no sales tax. The price on the tag is the price you pay at the counter. $20=$20.

 5. Thou shalt not tip. It is not necessary. My cab driver didn't know what to do when I gave him a %10 tip.

 6. Everyone is super friendly. When entering a shop to browse you always say hello, ask how the sales person's day is, basically shmooze and be really friendly. It is rude not to talk to everyone you meet. When I walk around my neighborhood everyone says hello and they really do say "g'day mate". I've had to adjust to being so greety-greety with people.

 

Still LOVING everything about this life choice! In the words of Brother Ali "I love the life I live. My laughter and my tears. I don't know where it's going, but I like it like it is"

To wherever my adventure waits... 

Comments

1

So somehow I just found this blog post, haha - I'm so glad to hear about your job, that you like it, and that it follows the Jewish calendar. So wonderful! Congratulations!

The kids do still ask about you, and more importantly, they remember what you taught them. First day back at WW, the returning kids got after /each other/ for not putting their instruments up quickly enough at my cue. Their words: "it's like ninjas, guys, remember?!" So that's part of you too, and always will be, no matter where you end up. I'm so glad that things are going well and you are happy! Miss you!

  Elizabeth Oct 1, 2013 12:42 PM

About darcyleggett


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.