Existing Member?

Adventures in South America

a very odd jungle adventure

BOLIVIA | Wednesday, 12 September 2012 | Views [444]

I was supposed to go with dianne and ron to test out the water pump I brought down on sunday.  Its sunday morning, and Dianne isn't coming and Ron doesn't bring the pump. So elaine, rodrigo, ron and myself head off in a van to Coroico, a tourist destination in the high tropical jungle called Las Yungas.  About 2 hours later we arrive.  It is so different there.  It is hot and humid and we are overlooking a cloud forrest.  We decide to go down to the river to look for somewhere to stay the night and check out points where the pump may work.  After looking at a very very and I mean very sketchy place, and turning up empty, Ron asks if we want to see a little town that has authentic Altiplano culture, but in the jungle.  I say Im up for anything, thinking its about 20 minutes away.  After a quick taxi ride, Ron runs ahead of us and jumps on a big bus.  Without time to think we all follow and the bus takes off.  This is when we learn the town is actually 2 plus hours away!  After a pretty sketchy bus ride in which we could have tumbled down the Andes(although I did see some awesome waterfalls) we arrived in Caranavi.  This is not a tourist destination.  anyways, we look for a place to stay and find a little alojamiento.  then some frisbee with local kids by the river.  They had never seen a frisbee.  Dinner and an internet cafe.  So far I wasnt impressed.  In the morning, I was determined to see some more nature.  So after hunting down a tourism map, I see lots of waterfalls and swimming holes that are supposed to be close.  Things arent always that easy in Bolivia.  First a cab wanted an obscene amount of money.  Finally when we did get one to take us he says "oh that place, thats too far" so we ask if he can take us somewhere where we can swim in the river.  So a 10 minute drive and he says here you go.  We asked to be picked up there in 2 hours.  

once we are down at the river, there are about 30 army boys swimming in their speedos.  NO THANK YOU.  I was not about to get in there with my little american bathingsuit.  so we walk a little farther down, and see army men resting with their AK47.  Moving on....  walk down the road and ask some man to cross his property to get to the river.  Now we are on a real jungle adventure.  We take a little path through thick plants and finally end up at the river.  Ron decides he wants to sit in the shade across the way, so we cross the river without any shoes, Ouch!  but wow did swimming feel good.  I would walk up the river and just float down.  it was beautiful surrounded by the Andes.  Too bad I have about 1000 bug bites now and am itching like crazy.  

some beers and lunch later, we hop a ride in a truck back to La Paz.  I couldnt open my eyes because he drove so crazy.  But it was worth it.  We got back in about 3.5 hours, and a big bus would have taken about 6.  

to sum up, I still need to see some more jungle and definitely some waterfalls, but all in all it was an adventure

About danalee


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.