Existing Member?

Adventures in South America

boring rant

BOLIVIA | Tuesday, 11 September 2012 | Views [455]

How does one stay humble?  This topic came up last night at dinner.  If you think to yourself, I am humble, isnt that a bit paradoxical?  How do I come to Bolivia without the self righteous attitude that I am here to show them what they do not know.  It may be true that I have had the resources to help children in the US with certain disabilities, but does that give me the right to tell others what they should do?
Lets take the example of hearing aides.  One of the projects I am working on, is to get students fitted for hearing aides and them give them a pair.  But there are so many students here who have had hearing aides in the past and have chosen not to wear them.  Of course there is the case where their parents will sell their hearing aides for money, or they get broken, or the batteries run out.  But, is it right for me to tell these students their life will be better if they use their hearing aides?  Does being hearing impaired make your life in some way less?  Most of you would say it makes life harder.  try to think about it from another perspective.
Im still in the midst of working out my own personal point of view.  As of now, I think the most important aspects are exposure, and availability.
i believe every child in this world deserves the adaptive devices he or she may need.  This is an issue of social and economic means.  I also believe that while a child is still very small, they should be exposed to these adaptive materials.  Then, when they are old enough to make their own decisión (i have no idea when that it, it depends on the child) they can choose whether to use their devices or not.  
There are children at the school with extreme deformation in their arms or legs.  Some of the students are able to walk on their malformed legs in a way that just baffles me.  One part of me is saying, god wouldnt it be great if they had access to orthotics as a young child.  I know this would help their bones form more strongly and save pain later in life.  then I rethink, is this just my personal societal view of how a ¨normal¨person should walk?  In the end, i continue to reach the same conclusión that all the technology I have been exposed to is for the best of the child.   
Bolivia is starting to grow on me.  I really wish my spanish were better so I could communicate better with the locals.  I have met some really interesting ex-pats though.  They have really made me think about what I am doing, and what I can do.  Its hard for me to believe that I, little old I, can make a big difference here in La Paz.  Yes, I think I can touch some students´ lives here, but I am continuously pressed to think bigger.  How can I help a larger population of students with múltiple disabilites.  If I could snap my fingers and make magic I would do a few things-
provide free (accessible!) transportation for all students to a state run school
Provide a school in which students can attend all day long- here students go to school in the morning or in the afternoon because there is not enough schools for everyone.  therfore, teachers cant keep materials in the classroom, put things on the walls, etc.
provide more materials for each class!  students are bored because there is nothing to play with while a teacher is busy with another student.
give access to hearing aides, orthotics, assitive technology

About danalee


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.