Existing Member?

Experiences in Asia

Last day on the beach

THAILAND | Saturday, 31 December 2005 | Views [771]

Barry, Rory, Me, Ben, Chris, Nick - In an bar (again)

Barry, Rory, Me, Ben, Chris, Nick - In an bar (again)

Hi all. I've uploaded some pictures to the blog, they are in a file called Ko Pha-Ngan.

This is my last day on the island. I've decided to take the joint ferry/bus back to up Bangkok tomorrow (yes, new year's day) no doubt with a hangover. This might sound like madness, but my thinking is that by the time I get back, I'll only have 5 days before flying to Japan. I want to spend a few days around the Kwai bridge and to do some stuff in Bangkok. Also, ticket availability on the 1st is fine, because no one else is dumb enough to travel on the day.

These last few day have been great, and spent mostly on the beach or in the water. Elle's brother and sister got into town yesterday, so there are now at least 10 of us kicking back and taking it easy. Yeaterday we hired mopeds and cruised to another part of the island which is famous for snorkelling. The dive site only runs to a few meters, but it is full of coral, and the life down there is so various and colourful. The visibility was perfect and we had an amazing time watching marine life of all shapes and colours glide past us, seemingly not bothered by our prescence. We spent a few hours doing that before the sun got the best of us, us having to find shelter back at the huts.

Today, the weather turned a little ugly, with decent wind coming in off the gulf, and dark clouds overhead. This to me spelled sailing, and so I booked the Lazer for an hour. The warm water and good winds made for a great play on the water, me not being bothered by the waves crashing into the boat - it makes such a difference to the icy waters of the Menai!

Tonight there is a new years eve party on Hat Yao, another beach on the other side of the island. We're heading there at about 10pm to see the new year in and to set off some lanterns. Then after that at 12 noon the next day I have to move - again!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.