Existing Member?

Experiences in Asia

Graduated

JAPAN | Thursday, 28 September 2006 | Views [736] | Comments [1]

So after 36 weeks of Japanese lessons, at four hours per day, tomorrow (Friday) will be my very last day at Japanese school. Overall, it has been a positive experience. I got to learn Japanese up to the standard of what my teachers would describe as middle intermediate. Because of their excellent teaching I think I have a good chance of passing the JPLT, which should stand my in good stead when Job hunting back in the UK. I also made very good friends and am now in a position to take my learning further(private teacher), having been given a good foundation.

After all this though, I am very glad to have graduated and to be moving on! Like any "business", and that is what my school is, a private business, profit does come first. This is understandable, but it bites a bit in the class with new student after new student continually entering, adding to the numbers - now we have 15 members in our class, which really is no good for a language school. Also, due to the sheer numbers of students present, mistakes do happen. I am more inclined to blame my past visa misery on a mixture of things, but also little things like my name not being entererd onto the graduation party list -if my friend hadn't noticed and subsequently told me, I would have missed the ceremony - little cock-ups like this are quite commonplace at school, and it is something I'm looking forward to being without.....

So the graduation ceremony was quite fun (pictures in the folder)we got to wear a Hakama, which are traditional Japanese clothes- Mine was a little short due to being 6'3, but I think I got away with it! There we no real speeches (I must give one tomorrow in school), but it was nice to get the picture and to mark the closing of my Japanese student life!

So to full time work! My schedule is Tuesday to Saturday, 8.30am until 4.00pm, which is quite good because I get two full days off, and of course the evenings.

This will give me a good chance to get into the Jiu Jitsu more, which I am really looking forward to. The Asian-Championships(sounds big, but isn't) will be held soon, and my teacher has tentatively enquired as to whether my bottle would hold up to entering! I have to confess that maybe it won't, but well work on it.....And as always, daily preparation for the dreaded JLPT!

Also, with more time on my hands, I hope to be doing some more actually, INTERESTING things to report.....watch this space!

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Well done Dan. Looking smart in the traditional dress.

  Richard Sep 30, 2006 3:10 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.