Existing Member?

And they're off..... Who's up for a little trip....

Beautiful York

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 27 July 2009 | Views [323] | Comments [1]

This morning we woke to a slightly warmer day (and I do me very slightly) and a glorious overcast sky. We set off again for town to discover the sites of York. Firstly we walked through the cities northern gate entrance, then across the river to the museum park where we were amazed to find that you could hand feed the local squirrels..

So Dan and I, being the animal lovers we are, wasted the morning playing with these cute little guys.. They are so so cute, and cautiously walk up to you and take food from your hand, they are so unbelievably quick however.

All I had on me was a muesli bar (which they loved) and an apple (one little guy really enjoyed this one however the others weren't fussed at all).

After hours of entertainment, we then headed off to the famous Gothic cathedral of York minster.

The exterior is decorated with hundreds of gargoyles, it is so magnificent!

We climbed the 275 steps to the top tower which had an amazing view over the city... it was just slightly cold up there as you can imagine LOL.

We then set off through the quaint cobbled streets with exquisite little buildings to find a traditional pub for lunch.

So we drank, Dan had beer and I had cider and ate the two largest pies you could imagine.

So from here we checked out Cliffords tower.

After another long day walking we joined the Ghost walk experience – This was a bit of a gamble as we had no idea what to expect, but it was simply a walk through the cobbled streets to various spots where we were told stories on ghost haunts and local history... It could have been very dull however the guide was a very funny theatrical guy who had the strangest mannerisms, hilarious sayings (including huddle, huddle, huddle... Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle etc you really had to be there!) and was simply an entertaining story teller... So the bottom line of the experience was that as York was built on the graves of 500,000 people, to this day it is believed to be the most haunted city in the world.. Some of the stories we were told were truly terrible, including the old local punishments which included be-heading, live entombment and being crushed to death! We called it a day after that :)


Historic York building

Historic York building

Comments

1

lots of spirits their. a gold mine for sam and dean

  Pat Jul 31, 2009 3:08 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.