Existing Member?

And they're off..... Who's up for a little trip....

London here we are

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 23 July 2009 | Views [301]

And so at 11pm we boarded our long flight (transiting through Frankfurt) to the UK. We were depressed to find that our seats on our Luftansia flight didn't have a personalised tv console and to make things worse, I think our ticket was booked in the nursery section as there were babies everywhere!! It wasn't as bad as I am making out but there were times were the high pitched baby squeals were just too much... It didn't matter once we had landed, everything was forgotten and replaced with excitement for the next stage of our RTW trip.. After Dan was drilled at the customs counter (I think the beard was working more against him than for him here as the customs officer asked in sheer amazement if he was in the Army, it was very funny - or for me at least) No matter as we were finally in the UK! We caught the tube into Earls Court, and checked into our first hostel, Earls Court hotel... Depression slowly sunk in once we saw the hostel in detail. It may have been in close contention for the oldest, smallest room in history... To add to the appeal it had no tv reception, felt like a sauna, was deficient an ensuite and all for a whopping 70 pounds ($145 Aus) a night!!! A great introduction to London prices... So no matter how exhausted we were, it sent us out sight seeing (the benefit of a terrible room is that you won't waste time in it and make the most of your travel LOL) First up,we decided to head Nth East to enjoy a relaxing stroll around Hyde park.. After walking in the total wrong direction (the tube will confuse the daylights out of your sense of direction) we were back on course...

The photo above is of us enjoying the delightful gardens around Kensington Palace.

From there we walked through the London arch......

on through to Buckingham Palace.

The Royal family are certainly a huge tourist draw card.. It was an amazing afternoon - and not bad to have seen as much as we did keeping in mind we had only been in the country for 6 hours...

Anna @ Buckingham

Anna @ Buckingham

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.