Existing Member?

And they're off..... Who's up for a little trip....

The James Bond Adventure

THAILAND | Sunday, 21 June 2009 | Views [435]

Ok, its not quite as the name suggests... We haven't been out imitating James bond and unfortunately we are not going to be apart of the next film....

The western coast of Phutket has some 42 islands, one of which is called the James Bond island as it is where one of the films were shot. Don't ask us which one, the language barrier seemed to impede this info getting thru but all in all it doesn't really matter.

For those who are not claustrophobic, highly adventurous and find themselves traveling the southern island of Phuket - this is a must! Our first stop was to visit mangrove cave... We really had no idea what to expect on this tour; and in true Thai fashion we were already half way to the island before anyone questioned us about tickets.. We were yet again amazed at how organised, professional and hospitable the Thai are. The ADF could really learn a thing or two...

So back to the story,,, Now dad (Geoffrey) you should probably stop mum from reading as this might stress her a little.... The boat halted with its some 18 passengers in the sea about 200m from an island with nothing but shear cliffs facing us. From here we boarded rubber canoes, two up with a thai guide to lead – 0ur guide was the outrageously funny Jack... OH&S aside, without a safety brief or life vests we were off with Jack paddling us towards a rock cliff face.. As we approached, there was a clearing of about 1m from the waters surface to the caves ceiling, so without any hesitation in we went...

The cave we were told, was about 150m in length, and only passable in low tide! It was unbelievably narrow and in most parts Dan and I had to lay down flat in the canoe to avoid being scratched scratched to death or receive any injuries on the way through, in some parts there was a clearance of just cms from our face to the cave ceiling – At one point, tLe passage within the cave system was so narrow that Jack had to open the canoes air valve to release air to lower the boat or we were never going to fit!!! let me tell you, we only just fit trough! I'll be honest to say that I was freaking out a little but we survived to tell the story...

OH&S is something that isn't really a necessity, and with our backgrounds in Defence a completely different experience for us. So when you are sitting in the middle of the ocean with nothing but cliff faces islands and a guide you is releasing the air in a rubber canoe so it can scrap along a cave system with sharp oyster shell edged walls, you can only just smile and trust the people guiding you.. It was amazing...

We came out into the most beautiful lagoon only to go back thru the cave system to return to the boat..

The next few islands were much the same thing however unique in their own way and very beautiful – we were served the most delicious Thai lunch all for only $45 per person,,, It is definitely an experience we will never forget!


 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.