Existing Member?

Tanzania Nakuru, Kenya March 08 Changed to Moshi, Tanzania

Completion of Moshi volunteer work

TANZANIA | Friday, 21 March 2008 | Views [1496] | Comments [1]

I just finished my three weeks of community development volunteer work in Moshi, Tanzania and I will say that it has been an amazing ride. I still am heading off to Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam to help aid another project, but I will always consider Moshi as a second home. 

I had some expectations of what it was going to be like before I came, but you really cannot prepare yourself for what you encounter here. I have met some amazing people and became comfortable with everyday life here. It really has showed me how much I take for granted. Sure we can all say certain experiences throughout life open our eyes to how great we really have it, but coming to East Africa and experiencing it first hand really is special.

Last week I had the most warming goodbyes from my students and Teacher.  Leah gave me a 5 min prayer that I will never forget. Being around all these underprivileged kids and communicating with them and their families shows me that the simplicities of family and community bond is what brings true happiness. 

Since I am not the greatest teacher, mom I don't know how you do it, I really focused on ways to improve this school and atmosphere. Through my sponsorship funds I was able to fund the necessary tools to enable a brighter future for the students who attend Kilimani Nursery.

I intend to continue support and aid to Kilimani nursery throughout the years since it has become, in the 3 short weeks, a special place in my heart. 

I put up some photos of the soccer team myself and other volunteers help with. Playing and interacting with these kids will also be a cherishing memory.  The ages ranged from 7-23 during training and it was just great fun. Oliver, another volunteer, and I have turned this team into the main soccer development project with Arts in Tanzania.

About 2 weeks ago I met a local who works with the local YMCA here in Moshi and speaks English quite well. After talking with him for a while he mentioned a project he in currently on with YMCA. It involves the communication and education to local secondary schools (middle school to high school) about HIV, drugs and staying in school. I ran into him again at lunch last Wednesday and he mentioned he was going to put on an event at JK secondary school which involved education on HIV and drugs to the 200 students through dramas and positive music. He asked me to write a rap song in English that he could perform to the students. I accepted and wrote a song for him. I also picked out the reggae beat and he performed it for the school 2 days ago. I put up pictures of the school and beginning of event.

Hopefully you can find some humor in this because its a bit cheesy and I wrote it in literally less than 10 mins at the coffee shop here... its also a "rap song" so enjoy. It is a bit ridiculous how quickly it was used in a performance and the fact that basically none of the students really understand English:

VERSE 1:

And I've never been so alive, My winds sail far and wide

If you wanna get high, you better hitch a ride, we're here to enjoy the beautiful sky

Why you have so much to say, when I got so much to do, I guess i'm just an individual with an idea that's bigger than you

Nothin to lose

Keeping the truth

Obeyin the rules

While stayin in the schools

CHORUS:

Ohhhhh! How can it be, so many beautiful people reminiscing in poverty

Ohhhhh! How can it be, let's get on the path to equality

VERSE 2:

HIV plus disease creating so many in need, all living with common unease

crack, smack, ganja and cocaine... its all the same, you should be ashamed if you're using this sort of pain

All you need is education, liberation is power

you got 2 learn from your desire, it takes only you to create that positive fire

Ohhhhh! How can it be, so many beautiful people reminiscing in poverty

Ohhhhh! How can it be, let's get on the path to equality

Ohhhhh! How can it be, so many beautiful people reminiscing in poverty

Ohhhhh! How can it be, let's get on the path to equality

Laughs now please! So that was the song I wrote, and it is pretty cool knowing that it was used in a short performance. I have to go but I will update this in about 8 days!

Cheers,

Chris

Comments

1

HI CHRIS, STEPHEN JUST LET ME SEE & READ ABOUT YOUR LIFE CHANGING TRIP. YOU MUST BE SO PROUD OF YOURSELF TO HAVE BROUGHT SOMETHING TO THOSE LESS FORTUNATE THAN WE ARE IN THE U.S. I SO ENJOYED YOUR JOURNAL & LOVED THE PICTURES AS WELL. I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR IN MORE DETAIL WHEN YOU RETURN. ONE THING FOR SURE-THIS JOURNEY WILL LIVE WITH YOU FOREVER! WE MUST HAVE DINNER TOGETHER. TAKE CARE & LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU SOON. LOVE, DONNA
Kleiners,
So i hope this reaches you before you touch down in the states. I'm sorry i haven't wrote before now. I kept looking at my email and myspace wondering when you were going to post some stuff...yeah im a complete idiot b/c you had a journal, which i knew about b/c u told me, but i dont know what happened in that little head of mine. Anyways, your trip sounds amazing. It makes me jealous b/c i went away and didn't contribute at all to society besides the alcohol i bought from all the eauropean countries. you on the other hand are my little peace corp buddy now. I really am proud of you Klein and think that you have done so much in so little time. Your efforts will definitely not go unoticed. I can't wait to sit down and hear more stories. Have a safe flight. and ps, you are right about the Warriors, what the fuck are we doing. 9th seat....bullshit.
Love ya broski,
Trenk

  steve and donna Apr 5, 2008 2:47 PM

About cwklein


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.