Existing Member?

Tanzania Nakuru, Kenya March 08 Changed to Moshi, Tanzania

Week 1

TANZANIA | Thursday, 6 March 2008 | Views [1282]

It is pretty special to be submersed into this culture and experience the interaction between people here. Although extreme poverty is prevalent, most people are very happy. Everyone is outside and there are literally thousands of kids running around through the villages and streets with smiling faces. The women are still carrying the fruit/water/ etc. around on their heads and there is really not too much technological advancement, at least where I am. There are TV's, but they have to use an antenna to pick up signals. All they get is ITV. Wrestling like the WWF is on all the time and they love it here, makes me laugh every time and none of us volunteers really still know if they know its fake.

I'm borderline filthy at this point in an Internet cafe. Everyday the foreign smell becomes more and more normal, I will never say I am dirty or starving again. We have a shower, and I have hand washed some clothes once but it is still quite muddy here.

Today my students were going a bit crazy so I took them outside to play soccer and throw the ball around (a flat ball maybe 10 years old). I took them out because they were fighting, chanting "teacher" "teacher" "teacher" (pretty much all the English they know at this point) and grabbing and hanging on to me. They only do this when the main teacher "Moma Leah" leaves the area because they know I wont hit them. Moma Leah will hit them hard with her hand and a stick, kinda crazy but just the norm here.

I bought tons of school supplies for the classroom, photocopied English lesson plans, took a professional class photo and laminated it for the classroom wall, bought cleaning supplies, etc.  I also got a high quality door put up on a classroom so she can lock things safely in there. The gate might be put on hold because it will cost $320.  

The soccer team is going well! They love the training bibs, and have used them everyday this week. Myself and 2 other volunteers play with this local team and they welcome us with open arms.

I am planning some amazing things to do: Want and actually doing are two different things but here are things volunteers and I are considering.  I am planing to visit the church and Mosque here, visit and sit in on the Rwanda trials in Arusha, go Forrest trekking in Moshi to see the tree monkeys and strange creatures, Go to the mt. kili waterfalls, I could climb Mt. Kilimanjaro but it is around $900, 4 day safari through the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara and some other park I cant remember at the moment.  I am still in a stressful stage of extending my flight so i can visit Dar es Salaam and volunteer there for a while as well as visit Zanzibar.  lots have been planned there as well

Anyway, I am exhausted and out of time but I will continue to keep this updated as much as possible.

Cheers,

Chris

Tags: Adventures

About cwklein


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.