Existing Member?

Tanzania Nakuru, Kenya March 08 Changed to Moshi, Tanzania

Kenya volunteer work deemed unsafe

USA | Thursday, 31 January 2008 | Views [709]

So the last couple of days have been completely stressful but I have finally made some significant progress. I-to-I has deemed March volunteer work to be too unsafe. Nakuru, where my volunteer work was going to be based experienced some serious pillaging last week. To be honest pillaging was the least of the problems. Unfortunately deaths were also reported. Weapons were used and it might be the start to something very serious. Also last week an oposition member in the Senate was murdered in his home driveway, this will only stir up more violence. We can all only hope that peace comes sooner than later.

Since Kenya has been deemed unsafe, I had to transfer my volunteer work to Tanzania. This might be a blessing in disguise because I will be placed in Moshi, which is pretty much on Mt. Kilimanjaro. I will also be able to travel around the Serengeti, which is one of the 7 wonders of the world. Pretty exciting!


My new volunteer work is community developement as well, although it will consist more of teaching, and I have been confirmed as of today (Wednesday) that I will be an afternoon soccer coach for the children too. I know regardless the volunteer work I do, it will be a great rewarding experience.


Here is the link to my new program (Same March time frame, March 1-21): http://www.i-to-i.com/volunteer-projects/voluntary-work-with-children-in-tanzania.html

Best,

Klein

Tags: Adventures

About cwklein


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.