Existing Member?

Expect The Unexpected "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

If I were to settle in NZ long term it would be in Mt. Maunganui :)

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 8 March 2010 | Views [522]

When a place just feels right you – you know it.  I didn’t specifically seek out visiting Mt. Maunganui but I am so glad I did!  It was the final required stop on my bus loop back to Auckland and due to the schedule I could spend just one night here or at least three – so I opted for three nights so I could explore the area for more than just one evening.  By the second day I had extended my stay for one more night forgoing one night in Auckland before my next prearranged WWOOFing position arrival date.  It all comes down to lifestyle – each morning I climbed to the summit of Mount – WHAT AN AMAZING VIEW!!!! 

Long stretches of white sand beaches, lush green forest, extensive trails, sailing boats, parasailers, surfing, cafes, and boutique shops - to make this even more live-able located within minutes of the neighboring city of Tauranga (the 5th largest urban area in NZ).  In addition this very popular tourist and premier surfing destination would be an excellent choice for a Hospitality Professional.  A number of times I have found myself thinking about Tofino as it has a lot of similarities to this area.  The view for one, the laid back feel, the beaches, water shortage, tsunami warning, beach-fires, and one night having pizza on the beach reminded me of the good old days when I would have Surf-Side Pizza delivered to Chesterman Beach.  I could even picture old friends and colleagues bringing pizza down the beach to locals and guests alike.  Oh the memories!!!  I always said I would enjoy Tuff City more if it were only a little closer to a city.  So there you have it – Mt. Maunganui an unexpected delight and enjoyable stopover on my way north.  

About courtneycarmen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.