Existing Member?

Expect The Unexpected "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

WWOOFing in Hastings – The Chef’s Garden

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 1 March 2010 | Views [1740]

Arriving in Hastings after my last bus day for a while I was picked up by my host Clyde and driven to the farm just on the edge of the city.  The morning was spent driving through familiar North Island scenery stopping at Mt. Bruce along the way (a conservation center for Kiwi birds). 

Upon reaching the farm, or more specifically The Chef’s Garden at Epicurean, I was introduced to some of the employees and “The French Invasion” – the other 12 WWOOFer’s who happened to all be from France.  WWOOFing International is an organization throughout the world where organic farming experience, along with room and board are provided to volunteers in exchange for their help.  I had heard about it before arriving in NZ and then along the way heard good stories from numerous travelers along the way.  Excited to get off the tourist route I was given the choice between the different on-site trailers and tents and actually able to unpack my backpack for more than a few nights.  I shared my trailer with one of the French guys and another girl from Canada.  I arrived around 3pm and spent the afternoon exploring around the farm with a quick walk into Hastings only minutes away.  Dinner was a group effort where those who didn’t cook were then on cleanup duty.  What a luxury to have a large chiller full of freshly picked veggies and a garden surrounding you ready to be picked if you wanted more.  Moreover, a pantry full of all sorts of organic dry goods.  There were of course a few things needed from the grocery store which rounded out our nicely stocked kitchen.  Needless to say I ate well during my stay. 

My first day working began with irrigating the greenhouses, weeding areas with a knife (weed by weed) and picking, cleaning and packing veggies for the Sunday Farmer’s Market (turnips, green beans, beets, and onions). 

Sunday began the same as it would for the following three by heading off to Hawke’s Bay Farmer Market (literally across the road from the farm).  It was a beautiful sunny day and after strolling around to each vendor we spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon sitting in the shade in the center of the market and listening to the live music.  In the afternoon we all headed off to Havelock North to climb Te Mata Peak.  The stunning views from the peak stretched the entire peninsula from Napier Bluff to south of Cape Kidnappers overlooking out over the Pacific Ocean and the inland farmland and rivers to the west. 

As a WWOOFer I worked three and a half work days with three and a half off for exploring.  My second day of work I began harvesting, washing and packaging organic salad for restaurants and groceries stores throughout Hawke’s Bay and as far away as Wellington.  I didn’t do much else for my remaining time at the farm but that was fine with me.  At first it was difficult to keep up with the orders due to a big event at one of the wineries on one of my first days brought large demand and I was working alone that day – thankfully other staff members were often willing to lend a hand to make the deadlines for the courier.  Being thrown in the fire or so they say was a good experience - I felt the satisfaction of working with a team to get things done and in seeing the behind the scenes of what happens to produce before it reaches a restaurant.   More than anything I felt my time at the farm was an excellent opportunity to learn how to learn again.  I was emerged in a completely different workplace, met new people and new skills (quite a departure from working at the same place for several years knowing it inside and out).  Although harvesting did get a little bit tedious, I was able to spend parts of the day in the beautiful sun, cool off in the shelter while I cleaned and treated the lettuce and mesculin in the three outdoor bathtubs and finally package the finished produce in the warehouse.  I started to get into a flow by the middle of the second week and felt it was a shame I was about to leave so I extended my time to a three week term. 

My free time was spent hanging out at the farm, playing the NINJA game, cooking, heading to the river and ocean for a swim, biking and jogging. 

One of my favorite days was biking from Hastings to Napier and back through the countryside past vineyards and orchards.  We stopped at one fresh fruit store along the way which was sooo refreshing.  We explored Napier wandering along the Marine Parade and had lunch in Clive Square.  Before heading back to Hastings we went to the Wine Center were you can go on a virtual tour of regional wineries.

The Art Deco Festival was another highlight.  I attended one event in Hastings were they did a fashion show of different deco “frocks” and then on the Saturday went to Napier where I met up with some former WWOOFer’s in Napier where we took in the costume completion, roamed the busy streets, and sat at the bar cooling down in style away from the sun.

Farm life has been fun and relaxing now I am off to Mt. Maunganui for a few days then off to the North Shore of Auckland where I will be WWOOFing again.  This time I will be working on the gardens at a yoga retreat.  Pictures to follow soon! I promise J

About courtneycarmen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.