Existing Member?

Expect The Unexpected "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Believe the Hype (Queenstown)

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 4 February 2010 | Views [552]

For those who are on a tight schedule Queenstown is the one place many are planning to spend a longer time in.  Anyone I know who has been to NZ before as raved about Queenstown so my expectations about my time there were very high.  Getting in the first night I arrived at my hostel (apparently rated number one hostel in Australasia last year) and was escorted to my room and shown the facilities.  Yes to all you “Wick” people reading this – I was roomed at a hostel!  Now I know not everyone was roomed (probably only 45% were) but I was certainly not expecting it.  A big industrious hostel it was and a buzz with the Queenstown party vibe (I would have loved this when I was 19 but although fun for a night it was not exactly my scene).   I wandered around the town for the first night then settled in for the night chatting with the many people who gravitated to my dorm.  Since it was raining the day I arrived I didn’t explore much of the town so the next day I spent wandering around.  Queenstown is really not very big but it does have tons of little shops and cafes.  I found that although there are loads of activities you can do in Queenstown it didn’t feel as pushed on you as other places like Rotorua.  The main streets were alternating between tour operators and souvenir shops but it was fairly easy to avoid being pulled into the overly commercial side by simply not entering the stores.  In Rotorua I felt there were people out everywhere advertising loudly the activities you could do along with large signs every few meters of tourist attractions.  Queenstown itself in this sense was more my style.  I indulged in a lavender hot chocolate in a harbor view café and spent the afternoon using their free wifi.  By early evening I finally caught up with the ladies I had met in Greymouth at the brewery tour and we went out for drinks and dinner.  What a nice evening of making our way from place to place around town, good company, good pizza and good wine.  After heading back to my dorm I discovered around 20 people on my balcony and more scattered throughout my room.  It was about 11:30pm by now and they were all heading out to the bar.  I decided to join them and we went to the seemingly only nightclub according to the long term residents of my room and danced for hours.  

The next few days were spent wandering around with every corner revealing a new treasure (lounging areas by the lake, the mountain range in the background, and numerous secluded parks everywhere I looked).  There was a summer festival, market and live music on the harbor so I wandered through and took in the show.  For lunch one day I headed to the infamous “Fergburger” and although I waited until 2pm in hopes it wouldn’t be too busy I still was told there would be a 30 min wait after ordering it.  This place is uber busy and it is not like they need to have longer hours as they are open daily from 9AM all the way through until 5AM so they are almost never closed.  The wait was worth it though – I didn’t order fries as I heard many people don’t even touch them since the burgers are so big.  Big and filling I had the Southern Swine – mmm mmm good.  If I go back there I want to try the Thai Burger.  At one point I was hoping to organize a trip to Milford Sound since this was not included in my bus pass.  Every tour operator in Queenstown markets their slightly better trip than the next guy to Milford.  After hearing the day trip was quite an exhausting day and almost to the point it was not enjoyable I was intrigued by the overnight cruise option.  Yes it was pricy but this is one of the wonders of the modern world and a heritage sight.  I wanted to do it right.  Unfortunately the trips were full by the time had inquired about booking and I no longer wanted to half do Milford with a day trip so I decided I would skip it for now and return in April.  At that point it should be more enjoyable and less crowded.  So no Milford for me this time around – it’s all good – just gives me something to look forward to later!  The final day I explored along the lake and walked to the nearby town of Frankton.  It was an hour and a half stroll along the water with view of the Remarkables Mountain Range on a nice sunny morning.  Ahh how relaxing!! 

The four nights I stayed in Queenstown were sleepless.  Now I understand it is a party town but I do like to be able crawl into bed before 3am and get a good night sleep (on at least one of the nights).  Next time I will book a smaller hostel out of the main area.  I took a bit of an unintentional break from my camera in Queenstown.  The only shots I have are on the final night as the sun was setting.  For some reason I never seemed to have my camera on me during most of my outings.  Not a total loss when it all comes down to it (there are plenty of pictures of Queenstown on the internet already for anyone who wants to see what it is like).  In the end a picture will never do the scenery the justice it deserves as it is one of those places that are surreal and seemingly more like a painting or backdrop than reality.  Overall I really enjoyed my time in Queenstown but really noticed the difference the people you surround yourself with can change the experience.  Believe the hype = Queenstown is FAB!

About courtneycarmen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.