Existing Member?

Expect The Unexpected "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

The View Is Always Better When YOU Climb For It! (Greymouth to Wanaka)

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 2 February 2010 | Views [614]

After leaving Greymouth we stopped over in the gold mining town of Ross.  Got a little demonstration at the information center on how to pan for gold (it reminded me of when there was the Klondike Days festival in Edmonton).  Another stop en-route was in the middle of the Wild West in a “town” consisting of the Bushman Center called Pukekura.  The Bushmen Center consisted of a café (called Puke Pub), gift shop and museum.  The museum tour started with a movie about the bushmen titled “When Bambi was the Terrorist” which covered the history of living off the land in the area, the over population of deer in the past and the evolution of kiwi hunting.  Not your average tourist attraction, you could tell it was grassroots, but it did have a humorous sense throughout.  Check out my pictures and you will see what I mean. 

Onwards to Franz Josef we arrived reasonably early in the day in order to make it for the half day glacier hike.  From the time I booked my NZ bus pass I knew the glacier hike was one of the things I really wanted to do.  I had heard mixed reviews about the half day hike (many saying it was not worth it and to go for the full day) but it turned out to be, in my eyes, a great option.  Just barely making it to the hostel I ran around getting my things together for the tour.  We were instructed to bring water, a snack, sunscreen and movable/breathable/water resistant pants.  I also wrapped my passport and other contents of my purse in a plastic bag to keep them watertight on the hike.  At the tour shop we were given jackets, pants, hiking boots, and crampons (metal extensions which go on top of the boots to dig into the snow).  Ready and set to go I stopped for a quick photo opportunity at outside the tour bus with two other Canadians.  The three of us joked about our fascination with hiking the glacier – obviously we had all seen snow before (pne girl was from Winnipeg the other from Toronto).  Anyhow, the tour took us on a short drive to the park then down a rain forested paved path until the glacier came into view (it started raining quite heavily and I was thankful I had decided to bring warm waterproof pants with me from the tour company.  Another 45 minute walk through the rocky terrain was stunning with full view of the glacier formations and waterfalls.  We finally reached the foot of the glacier (terminal) and crossed the safety zone where people are only permitted with a guide and learned how to attach our crampons to our boots.  The hike was fairly steep at first and I as I paused to take in the view I realized just how dangerous this could potentially be with the cliffs and rocks below.   Turns out this was the most difficult/dangerous part of the hike to which we were informed after we reached the top of it.  The rain started to let up as we meandered through the accumulation zone past sections of vivid blue ice and through the deep crevasses.  We hiked further in and around the snow caves and up the snowy staircases.  There were points of time we were instructed to put our cameras away and hold onto ropes with both hands as we scaled carefully around the side of the glacier.   Reaching three quarters of the way up at the summit we took in the view and took a moment to appreciate the climb itself.  Although the climb itself was enjoyable, it was in this moment that the view became even more spectacular.  Suddenly the wind came up and rain started down heavily and we began our decent.  The way down seemed quicker that the way up (probably due to less picture stops and the rain).  I could not have been more excited to jump onto an old tour bus out of the rain to refuel with water and a chocolate and apricot muesli bar.  

After returning to the town of Franz Josef, and stripping off the wet gear we headed straight for a quick bite to eat and then off to the hot pools before they closed for the evening.  What a nice way to end the evening – I would highly recommend indulging in the hot pools after a day on the glacier.  All warm and cozy I slipped under the covers in my bunk and drifted off to sleep. 

The next day at 7:30 AM I boarded the bus for Wanaka.  Although not a required top en-route with the bus schedule I had the choice of either three nights in Franz Josef or two in Wanaka on my way to Queenstown.  The two days in Wanaka were really nice and I am so glad I stopped there.  There were two buses departing Franz Josef travelling together until the Wanaka turnoff.  Our driver had no idea what was going on (he claimed it was his first time but since this trip I have spoken with a few others who travelled on different days) but it was fine we just followed the Queenstown driver and on and off the bus whenever they did.  We stopped just outside of the Fox Glacier at Lake Matheson for a breakfast stop.  The lake is one of the most photographed places in New Zealand known as “Mirror Lakes.”  The Southern Alps (including Mt. Tasman, Mt. Cook and Fox Glacier) are perfected reflected in the lake below and frame the view from the rain forested walk and café.  This is one place I could have spent hours just looking out at but with no accommodation nearby and no car of my own it was onward to the next stops (first at a coastal beach with figures resembling Inusik but with apparently no meaning and secondly at Knight’s Point for a look out at a seal colony).  The views through this region were absolutely incredible with the Southern Alps framing the final decent into Wanaka surrounded by both Lake Hawea on the left then Lake Wanaka on the right. 

After checking into the hostel I headed to the lake front to take in the beautiful day as the forecast was not looking sunny or overly warm for the next day.  I was amazed at how few people were out on the shores.  I had images of the backed shoreline of Sylvan Lake each summer and Sylvan doesn’t even begin to compare with Wanaka.  It was nice and serene to walk along the water and take in the afternoon.  My allergies had other plans though (sadly) so I headed back to the hostel for a shower and clean clothes and then off to the grocery store for a much craved helping of veggies.  I spend the evening making in the bright and spacious kitchen preparing a towering salad and then retiring to the movie room to watch “Nacho Libre” as I recovered from the outdoors.  The next days I spent many hours exploring Wanaka on foot.  All along the main street I stumbled upon “The Millennium Project” a series of stones noting dates significant dates throughout history.  Something unexpected and refreshing: note in the pictures the amount of history about Scotland as the Otago region has a strong population of immigrants from Scotland.  You could spend the entire afternoon taking in the Millennium walk and a moment to pause every few stones to take in the view.   Beyond this I wandered past the main beach along the Waterfall Walkway and onto the Ironman Track following the shores of Lake Wanaka.  I cannot say enough to describe the view and the peace and tranquility of the 4 hour walk.  Although not a difficult walk the numerous hills and cliffs did offer provide good exercise and yes the view was improved by climbing for it.   After making it back into Wanaka I decided to treat myself to a refreshing glass of Otago Rose and a chocolate croissant from the Ardmore Café before heading off to Queenstown.  An off the beaten path destination that was truly rewarding and one of my favorite places so far; as the many T-Shirts and the tourist shops say “I Heart Wanaka.”  

About courtneycarmen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.