Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 63 - Change of Plans

NEPAL | Tuesday, 15 April 2008 | Views [438]

My plans to visit a hospital whilst travelling through India were placed in chaos as I eyed the huge line of people outside the Indian Embassy as it opened at 9:30am. Being the ignorant traveller I am, I had thought it would be a simple process of showing up, giving your passport and paying before waiting a few days. Speaking to an old guy I discovered quite the opposite - he had been there 4 times; once ignorant like me, then at 5am the next day to get in line for a form which was handed in four days later with his passport and now to collect everything after another 2 days. Yikes! I had hoped to catch the bus on Friday, but with only 3 working days that included today I wasn't going anywhere near India, especially as I probably wouldnt get my visa until mid next week. So I began to worry a little as I have 4 days until my Nepal visa expires, and Im not too keen to pay $30 for another couple of days.

Did a few hectic emails asking for dads advice on my new plan - travel to Bangkok straight away and just chill for a week sipping cocktails on a nearby beach. Straightforward enough. It was the easy but expensive option out - the internet search showed that it was at least 550 bucks to get there! Bugger. But I already have my Thai Visa, prearranged back in Aus, so no worries about getting fined. I checked dad's reply before heading to the office - he couldn't book any tickets for me online. Uh oh...

Was tempted to run to AmaDablam's office but the heat was getting to me. A few nervous seconds as the gaurd didn't open the gate, I doubted that the office was even open! He finally appeared and I rushed in, asking the secretary if they could buy international tickets. Wasn't I going to India? No, things have changed. Luckily her hubby worked for some company or another and suddenly she was calling people and answering at the same time - i finally realised how important having three phones is. Amrit came in and told me the details about tomorrow morning; ma and pa have given me an Everest View flight as a birthday pressie! Waiting for the hubby to get back to the secretary I helped out a new guy on typing up a brochure. He had a few opposing ideas to the format that the boss had suggested and though I agreed with him I avoided taking sides! He was pretty good at english and nicer than the guy he had replaced so I was glad to finally be useful in the office again.

Amrit came in with the news that the flight to Bangkok would cost me $260 dollars and I would leave on Friday morning. I had gotten the last seat and even the office was surprised at the price of the ticket. I have a bad feeling about additional taxes or the quality of the airline, but for 300 bucks I doubt I will complain. Only problem is I have to pay in US dollars and can only take out the equivalent of 150 in rupees at a time from the atm. Will undoubtedly have problems with the money exchangers in the morning!

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.