Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 52 - Culture Contrasts

NEPAL | Friday, 4 April 2008 | Views [362]

Went back down from Namche Bazaar to Phakding. It was a great feeling to go down the massive hill we had climbed up, particularly when you get to wave at all the people struggling up! There was a great moment for reflection when we saw a family of trekkers, the young kid complaining about being tired from walking, when a porter the same age as him scurried up past with 60kgs on his back! Was a good contrast of rich/poor cultures.

Trekking is now pretty uneventful as we know what to expect but the weather is a lot worse now than on the way up. It rained heavily, forcing us to run to the lodge as despite having raincoats our bags were getting soaked! There is even snow in the lower mountains.

I changed into my last dry jacket before joining Rodger, Olivia and Paul in a game of snooker. None of us had played before but the table was good quality and it was great fun! It is quite hard to play in a downjacket however.

Back at the lodge Robyn entertained us with some songs from the 60s - the lodge had a guitar. Everyone crowded around the fire for a nice night with the two old teachers even shouting a round of Everests for the staff! Paul and I finished off the small amount of Khukuri Rum in a bottle by pouring it into a pot of hot chocolate - nice but odd tasting.

All in all the trek is nearly over and I am both sad and happy to be heading back to Kathmandu! It was such great fun but I am knackered and a bit keen to head back into the comforts of a city life.

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.