Existing Member?

Adventure of a Lifetime A test of me and challenge of stamina. Why am I doing this?? Who knows!

Saga

CHINA | Friday, 18 September 2009 | Views [337] | Comments [4]

Saga is the name of the town we are in tonight. Surprisingly there is internet here! And hot water between 8pm and 12.!! We took 12 hours to reach here. The first part was on sealed road through the valley with farmers reaping their barley and  keeping their doh (Cross between a cow and yak), horses and sheep. Later the scenery changed as the Himalayas came into view. The scenery was stunning with snow capped peaks, and a glimpse of Everest. He/She was a bit cloud covered but we got a look. Later again the road became dirt and we did two passes on precipitous narrow one lane roads made of sand. We have been as high as 5280 metres today, and as Carole and I hung a prayer flag at the top of one of the passes we did not feel any effects from the altitude at all! We passed a stunning turquoise coloured lake with the backdrop of the snow and glacier mountains behind. Incongruously we saw Cells for collecting electricity out here in this wilderness! (Voltaric?).

Our Tibetan guide said "This is Shangrila"...and I agree. We all felt so well today at this extreme height we feel more optimistic about the trek now.

We have two more days on the road before arriving at the trail head. but not as long as today.

Thanks for the comments...its nice to have them..love to Julie please Mary.

Comments

1

Hi, all is ok & I am still looking at the grass from the top side!! Wishing you all the best for the rest of your trip. From Trevor.xo.

  Trevor Sep 18, 2009 11:39 PM

2

Hi Coral, Congratulations on your achievements thus far & love & best wishes for the journey ahead, I know you can do it! Fee xo.

  Fee Sep 19, 2009 12:49 AM

3

Hey Mum! Just starting to read your blog :) Sounds like a good adventure! The word you're looking for is "photovoltaic" :)

  Shaun Sep 20, 2009 9:49 AM

4

Hey Mum - I've read all the posts now. Glad you're having such a great time, and I hope your fitness is holding up as I'm sure it is. I suppose you might be reading this after the trail; if so, I hope it was as breathtaking as you make it seem. It must be so good to enjoy that fresh mountain air and broad views. Anyway - look after yourself and enjoy every moment! Will be looking forward to the next update.
Peace

  Shaun Sep 20, 2009 10:00 AM

About coralhorton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.