Existing Member?

Gone Again It is a long drive from Colorado to Panama and back. Anything can happen.

Teotihuacan

MEXICO | Wednesday, 28 November 2007 | Views [1663]

A photo of us, Pirimide del Sol, Teotithuacan

A photo of us, Pirimide del Sol, Teotithuacan

Sunday is the day that Mexican families swarm the city, visit the parks and otherwise relax so we let them to it and took the day off.  It is important to take a break once in a while.  After all, we are supposed to be enjoying the trip.  We tended to chores, relaxed around camp and visited the internet place to update the journal and catch up on emails.

Teotihuacan (te-oh-tea-wah-can’) is about 30 “crow miles” from our camp but we read about a short cut that took us two hours.  Around 300 AD Teotihuacan covered about 20 square kilometers, the largest of Mexico’s ancient cities and the capital of what was probably its largest pre-Hispanic empire.  Today the ruins are dominated by two pyramids along the main Calzada des los Muertos or Boulevard of the Dead.  Piramide del Sol is the third largest in the world and sits in juxtaposition to Piramide de la Luna.  As with many ancient civilizations the sun and moon played a major role in their religion.  Everything is very symmetrical which of course pleased Connie to no end.  Some of the structures were brightly painted and the colors can still be seen.  We weren’t surprised to see archeological work still going on since there is so much yet to discover.  I mean no disrespect but perhaps because of the setting or maybe because our DNA isn’t programmed for Indian culture, Teotihuacan lacked the mystery and majesty we felt in Tikal and Egypt.

Tags: Sightseeing

About connieandjohn

A photo of us, Pirimide del Sol, Teotithuacan

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.