Existing Member?

Gone Again It is a long drive from Colorado to Panama and back. Anything can happen.

Mexico, Mexico, Mexico

MEXICO | Monday, 26 November 2007 | Views [627]

Mayan inlayed teeth, Museo Anthr.

Mayan inlayed teeth, Museo Anthr.

 We are camping again at the best campground ever.  Hotel Pepe RV Park is in Tepotzotlan, about 25 miles north of Mexico City.  We have a football size grassy area to ourselves, electricity and an outdoor kitchen.  Our own toilets and showers are only a few yards away.  It is the perfect base to explore Mexico City and the nearby pyramids of Teotihuacan. 

More than 20 million people live in Mexico City and they have developed one fine mass transit system.  Both the busses and subways must be federally funded.  While the five minute cab ride to the bus stop cost 30 pesos ($3.00) the hour long 25 mile bus ride was only 20 pesos each.  The subway is clean, fast and ultra easy to use and costs only 20 cents.  It seems that when you get off one train your connecting train is waiting for you.  Granted today is Saturday and people were probably off work but there were usually plenty of seats.  Vendors selling candy, soft drinks, pirated CDs and folks collecting for charities wander from car to car but are not pushy or rude, accepting a ‘no gracias” with a smile. 

                Our destination was Museo Nacionale de Antropologia, a wonderful introduction to the indigenous peoples of Mexico.  We learned about the Olmecs, Toltecs, Maya, Mixtecs, and Aztecs.  While many of the individual labels were in Spanish the broad-brush explanations were also in English.  The exhibits were fantastic with many of the best artifacts from the major archaeological sites in Mesoamerica.  Now when we visit the sites we will better understand their significance in the grand scheme of things.

Tags: Culture

About connieandjohn

A photo of us, Pirimide del Sol, Teotithuacan

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.