Existing Member?

woo HOO! "You can dream your life or live your dream..."

Leaving Navarra...

SPAIN | Saturday, 22 September 2007 | Views [1113] | Comments [3]

Today I left Navarra...the beautiful Basque country within Spain.  The language spoken here (Euskara/Basque)is among the oldest languages known to be spoken in the modern world. I was fortunate to meet a local family in Zubri, near Pamplona.  It was the second day of walking and my knees and feet were very tired...crossing over the bridge to Zubri, I decided to go sit in the river for a while to cool off my legs.  After settling down on a big rock in the river, I heard a man calling to me over a fence...he was amused that I was sitting in the river, still in my clothes.  We spoke briefly, then a woman joined him and started laughing at, or rather with me.  When I was done, they invited me onto their patio to share some cafe, helado (ice cream) and champagne! I did not drink the champage, but enjoyed their celebration.  There were four of them, Javier, Pachi, Charro and Itas...celebrating a beautiful day away from the city of Pamplona.  They taught me some phrases in Euskara and we shared some stories...it was a wonderful way to end my day of walking.

When I got back to the albergue (hostel) where I was staying, my Italian family had just arrived.  That night I accepted the invitation to join ¨the family¨ for dinner, and traveled together for the next two days until they went ahead to Astorga. I will never forget this special time in Navarra...

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

As I watch Kelly hike from my couch (the red velvet couch.)
I have to admit I feel a bit tired.
Just watching TV all day long exhausts me....
Sounds like she is meeting some cool people and having some fun.
Is all that schlepping around really necessary?
Ok already lets hop on a bus or something.
Perhaps a decadent experience like pizza slices and red wine at 4am.




  Adrew Speth Sep 23, 2007 12:11 AM

2

I am so glad I opened this Log...it sounds like all is good except for your poor tired feet. Cant wait to see you.

  Louis Sep 25, 2007 2:08 AM

3

Im so glad to be able to share this with you by reading.Its awesome!!!!Im going to italy sunday stop by if you can....miss you

  marlene Oct 3, 2007 1:29 PM

About connaughty


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.