Existing Member?

Connolly's Colonies

Run

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 15 November 2009 | Views [606] | Comments [1]

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

It’s hard to say where I am at the moment. I know I’m in the wonderful Paihia, New Zealand. Although apart from that geographical fact I’m pretty much in some sort of liquid fluid state. I’m working now for the first time in 6 months, doing a job for half the pay that I usually got and having to work 60 hour weeks to get a decent pay-check behind me.

I’m thankful to have a job where I work outside and get exercise, but the hours really eat up into my ability to experience things or to travel. Travelling at the moment is the very thing I’m not doing, I’ve been stuck in the same place now for 2 months, I’m a quarter into my New Zealand stay and I haven’t even seen 1/8th of the country. My feet are starting to get itchy, not due to poor hygiene, but more wanting to get out and run around again. The American leg of my tour was an absolute blast; it was fast paced and jam packed. I often would wake up and not know which town I was in. Now I know, quite firmly where I am. I did crazy things like travel to other cities because there was a party going on that night, or climb a mountain because it was looking at me the wrong way and I wanted to get to the top and punch it in the summit.

I was a loner, I had people who travelled with me, but in the end after a couple of weeks I was back to square one. Matt alone, trying to find the next group. Since I’ve been in NZ I’ve had pretty much the same group for a month. It actually feels like I’m waiting for them to move so I can. This is the thing that perturbs me most. After being independent, single minded and impetuous, I’m returning to the same old mould. Work, drink with friends, go the bed.

People ask me if I’m starting to get homesick or if I’m just upset that certain people from the group have left, maybe that’s why I want to run again. It’s not that, I’m the opposite of home sick. Paihia is fast becoming a home, I know the local people and they know me. I know where to go and tell people who are new in town what to do. Home to me is the nemesis to my travels. Home is what happens when the adventure stops. Once I get back to that, it feels like there’s no more dreams, no more horizons. It’s just the eventual plod towards that terrifying mortality that certainty of death and taxes.

It’s not going to happen tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, but I get the feeling that my days in Paihia are marked and it’s counting down to the time where I tear up these burgeoning roots and keep moving till the talons of inevitability shackle me down and bring me back to the start.

Tags: home, homesick, job, paihia, run, stall

Comments

1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5j_Q9CZ3w

  Anon Y Musbistander Nov 25, 2009 5:32 AM

About conlay


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.