Existing Member?

Connolly's Colonies

Dazed and Con-fused

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 1 June 2009 | Views [590]

Well, it finally happened.  I’m leaving, I’m going off to meet new interesting people and make them feel nervous and uncomfortable.  This date has been coming for such a long time now, but it never seemed very real at all. It was one of those dates you pick at random, one so far off into the future it would never happen. It still doesn’t seem very real. I travelled down from the north yesterday and stayed overnight at a friend’s in London.  She was probably more enthusiastic about the whole idea than me. She constantly screamed and bounced with enthusiasm and excitement about my impending departure, you probably could have been mistaken into think it was her who was flying out today.

My mood was somewhat different, mostly because it still doesn’t feel real. It always seemed like travelling was something that was happening in the future. I don’t think I’ve actually comprehended its going to happen. My overly enthused friends asked me if I was excited about it. I told her that it felt like a war film, not that there’s going to be blood, guts and me telling people that when I get home to my sweetheart I’m going to start a llama farm, moments before I get my head blown off.  It’s like the part where the hero has just had a shell explode next to him, he stands up and looks around. The explosion is still ringing in his ears. Everything around him is still moving, but in slow motion. He knows what’s going on but he’s dazed by the whole thing. That’s where I am right now. I’m sat in an airport and I’m in a total daze.......

Hopefully I’ll snap out of it soon, or else there’s going to be an incredibly confused Briton who’s dawdling around Washington DC in 9 hours time. On the plus side I have about half a rock of Kendal mint cake to get through before I arrive. So it’s either dazed or off my tits high on sugar.

Wish me luck

Con

Tags: daze, excitement, fear, heathrow, kendal mint cake, london, start

About conlay


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.