Existing Member?

Europe2015

Venice Sunday September 20

ITALY | Sunday, 20 September 2015 | Views [256]

Murano, the home of Italian glass

Murano, the home of Italian glass

A lazy start, we were still tired. We were going our separate ways with Jeannette and Greg today. Jumped on a vaporetto which took us to Murano, an island about 15 minutes away. Murano is home to the glass making industry which was removed from Venice due to the fire risk. We both really liked it, less crowded and more relaxed. The level on which it was established appear to be higher than that of Venice. The building line was well above the water and the buildings better preserved. The glass creations were beautiful with so many different designs. Did a little shopping and then found a great little Trattoria for lunch, where we dined outside canal side. It proved to be a great choice and seemed to be popular with both locals and tourists. Col liked Murano so much she thought it could have been another accommodation option. We just wandered after lunch taking it all in.

Met up with Jeanette and Greg at Piazza del Roma at 6 and wandered off to find somewhere for dinner. Found a nice quiet restaurant in a back street and again enjoyed a lovely dinner. 

One point to note is that dogs seem to be allowed anywhere, including eating places and all forms of public transport on land or water. Had an early night, we are starting to find our days tiring. 

Arrividerci Venezia! 

About colandscott


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.