Existing Member?

The Minority Report Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you'll die.

Survivor China

CHINA | Saturday, 5 January 2008 | Views [621] | Comments [2]

It's been awhile since we wrote last so excuse us for our memory deficiency.
Let's see, I believe we left off in Lijiang, where we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. We met two Americans on the last day we were here and it was heaven on Earth.
Dali was our next stop and it was pretty much the same as Lijiang, but smaller. One of our American friends met up with us here and gave us some insight on what to do around town. We followed his advice and rented some bikes for the day. Trying to find this "ancient city" he was telling us about, we ended up riding around for 16 kilometers both ways. I don't think we ever found what we were looking for. In fact, I think we rode right passed it. But it was a fun misadventure, nonetheless. Some crazy old woman wanted me to play cards with the Chinese men, but they weren't having it. And she was starting to scare us so we quickly escaped. Of course I can't be on a bike without hurting myself. The roads we were riding on were in between farm fields and there was a bit of drop off. I was trying to stop and tell Mel something and the next thing I know I fell over board into some shrubbery. Luckily, it was just a bunch of weeds and bushes. I got scraped and scratched a little, but I was okay. An old lady walking by thought it was rather amusing, though. We also went horseback riding up a mountain. It was a little sketchy because before we even got up the mountain my guide was scaring my horse to obey his orders, and the horse jumped and started trotting off with me on it!!!! Of course, the ladies watching laughed at my expense again. So the entire time I was terrified that my horse was going to make me his runaway bride. Mel got a real kick out of it. Now she wants to have a horse of her own.

I must say that the food on this leg of our China tour was far more better than the first. They like to eat meat and potatoes. My kind of people. Especially with it being cold. They have Grandma's potatoes, which are like mashed potatoes, but chunkier. And Grandma's beans that tasted just like my Grandma's white beans except with a Chinese spicy twist. Soooo delish! We're fattening up for America.

It was really hard to leave both Lijiang and Dali, but we felt that we didn't have much time so we had to press on. We ended up in Kunming just in time for Christmas. Lamesky. It was nothing more than a big city with little to do. Oh, except for the infamous Wal-Mart with nothing but Chinese goods, of course. We wanted to take a trip to the Stone Forest, but our hostel said we had to have two more people. No one seemed interested. They were all there for the same reason: to get a visa out of China. We only had to wait three days for our Vietnam visa, then we scurried off to Guilin. We were prepared for our train ride this time as we loaded up with plenty of meat and cheeses and a bottle of wine to put us to sleep. Of course it was longer than we expected about 20 hours, but a beautiful train ride that rode us through limestone mountains and gorgeous greenery.

Guilin wasn't anything to write about. We stayed here a couple of days to eat some dog hotpot....Just kidding! We did see some snakes and possum in cages, though. We opted not to take the river cruise because it was freezing cold and kind of pricey. I did spend some money on some brand new kicks. And a nice pair of jeans that I won't be needing for the next three months, but China has some really trendy jeans. Oh, and we found an underground arcade where I went bananas. They had this drummer game with an actual drum set and you play with the music. I wish my parents would've bought me one when I was younger. Sigh...

An hour from Guilin is Yangshuo, where we still are now. It's probably been the record stay for us. But not on purpose, we just can't leave until the 7th when our visa starts for Nam. We've been trying not to spend too much money, but we did take a day tour to Moon Hill, the Big Banyan Tree and Silver Cave. All of which were really neat to see, but the hagglers here are insane. We rode our bikes to all these places and at one point these ladies sitting on the side of the road dropped everything that they were doing to hop on their bikes and follow us. Follow us up 2,000 stairs (that we walked in record timing!) and back down again just to ask us if we wanted something to drink. I visibly had a bottle of water in my hand the entire time. And one lady grabbed Mel's bike to force her to buy some postcards. They are really good at making you feel sorry for them. It's hard to say no sometimes. We spent New Year's here, which was a heck of a time. We met another American earlier in the day that joined us later on for the festivities. They had fireworks and lots of drinking and dancing. We ended up chatting with some Chinese, Frenchies, Aussies and Austrians until 6 in the morning. Good times.
Yesterday we met a Hawaiian man, who has travelled all over the globe. He wants to teach me how to make sushi. And his friend wanted me to work for him when he opens up a Western cooking school. That is the third job offer I have been approached with. It's just too bad that I don't want to live here. Then we met some more Americans from Kansas. The parents live in Shanghai and their daughters were just visiting. They ended up paying for everything yesterday. And even took us out to dinner. Really nice folks.

Well, I think that about sums it up. Tomorrow we are taking a bus to the border of China, then continuing on to Hanoi.

I hope everyone had a Happy New Year! I bid thee farewell.

JUICE!

Tags: Mountains

Comments

1

hey guys! Nice to hear from you.Looks like your having fun......everything peachy here----rehab is the best!!!!Love ya,Dad

  dad Jan 7, 2008 2:27 PM

2

Yes you must learn how to make sushi! And I'm glad you don't want to live there because I would like to see both of you sometime soon...any news on a return to your homeland trip?...

  Jessica Haley Jan 8, 2008 3:53 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.