Existing Member?

The Minority Report Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you'll die.

Happy Halloween!

CHINA | Tuesday, 30 October 2007 | Views [747] | Comments [3]

Happy Halloween you bloody Americans!!! Although the Chinese normally don't celebrate this so-called holiday our hostel is an exception. 2 for 1 beers all night long. Where you at, dad? We're opting not to drink because we are really tired and I want to take it easy so that I don't get sick again. But on my birthday....that's another story. Mel's all ready making flyers. haha

So far, this city is my favorite hooker of the whole bunch. I mean, it's just hip to be square. There's a lot to see and do here, but today we had to take care of some business first i.e. our train tickets to Mongolia, which you can only get at this fancy schmancy hotel...and eating Peking Duck!!! Two excellent meals today. We plan on checking out that restaurant you were talking about, Kevin. We're staying at another hostel that is just right around the corner. Excellent location!

It is really cold here, and Mel has already bought herself a jacket. I'm still holding out because those who know me know I'm cheap just like my father. We thought we bargained Mel a good price for her Northface jacket, but as we were walking home tonight this lady called her out and told us otherwise. At least now I know where to buy my jacket if I choose to get one.

Once the party dies down I reckon we can get some sleep. Tomorrow we're going to hit up Tian'an Men Square and The Forbidden City. We haven't decided just yet if we want to take a tour of the Great Wall or trek it on our own, but we'll be here for a couple more days so we aren't in any hurry.

(Side Note): Did we mention how rude these people are??? They're almost like the Russians. It's like the survival of the rudest. I mean, we can't generalize the Chinese as a whole and say that, but it's few and far between that we meet some descent ones. People here seem to speak better English, but they still need to work on their manners if they plan on hosting the 2008 Olympics. Personal hygiene is not a priority. Littering is a must! I won't go into details, but I just had to vent a little because it's been an eye opening experience. A definite culture shock. We've also noticed that they're aren't many Americans traveling throughout Asia. Wonder why that is???

Well, that's enough for today. Class is dismissed.

Tags: The Planning Phase

 

Comments

1

I'm glad you're feeling better. No wonder you can't get well....the trash, poor hygiene, gross hospitals...all adds up. Maybe you do need to drink more, as your father so eloquently said. : ) By the way, everyone is going to the drag show again this Saturday. We'll miss you!!!
Be safe!
Love,
Chris

  Stepmom of the year Nov 1, 2007 6:49 AM

2

WEll it sounds like you both are having fun. Courtney I hope you feel better soon there is nothing worse than being sick in a strange place. Hey!!! the Peking duck sounded good (I sent you another msg guess I didn't do it right) Got to the drugstore and get you some Imodium
A D hahaha Your pictures are great. be careful, stay safe and watchout for the crazy Chinese on the bikes.

  grandma "B" Nov 2, 2007 1:54 PM

3

Sometimes, I think you want me to touch you. Or your hair. You want me to pull it! Yanks!

Remember that year I was Cousin It and you were a hobo and you asked me to drag you in the dirt? Can we do that again when you get home?

  Amber "New York" Bryant Nov 2, 2007 2:15 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.