Existing Member?

The Minority Report Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you'll die.

Oh What A Night!

CHINA | Sunday, 14 October 2007 | Views [804]

We took a bus to the city of Guangzhou yesterday. It was about a 2 hour bus ride. Not too shabby. But once we arrived it was all down hill from there. The subway system is a breeze to figure out, but when we got outside we had no idea where we were. There were no signs... no street names...nothing. So we had this bright idea to hire a taxi...one quickly shows up, but can't read what I've written down. He insists we get in the cab, though. He says he knows where our hostel is...a couple of bucks later we are at a completely different hotel and he's asking directions from the concierge. Then proceeds to call the hostel and all he does is yell and hand me the phone like I know what either of them are saying. Luckily, one young man knows where it is so he tells us the way, and we walk there...to then realize that it is the wrong place, as well. But the lady at the front desk says to take this bus and it'll stop right in front of the hostel we need to go to so we do just that. Once we get there, we look up to see it's the completely wrong hostel all together. We finally call the place ourselves to get the address in Chinese and hire another cab to take us all the way back to where we started from and when we arrive we realize that we weren't far from the subway station. By this time, it's two and a half hours later and we are just thankful to finally get a room to put our stuff down.

Next on our agenda, food! We ask to be seated inside, but they insist we sit outside. Of course, no one understands each other so the waitress goes off to get a "translator", who is some random guy that sits down to ask us what we want to eat...*laughs* We order and he quickly scurries off to party at the disco. We want to ask for soy sauce and no one knows what we're talking about so they just keep bringing us all sorts of random items such as spoons, cups, bowls...Finally, I run over to our hostel to ask the front desk to write it down so we can show them. Walah! We now have soy sauce!

Then we rollerskated in the street and passed out.

Tags: Lost!

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.