Existing Member?

WWOOF

The Beach

USA | Monday, 28 November 2011 | Views [349]

Just a quick note to say that I did finally make it to the ocean. Bebo took his wife, Karen, Pjil, the other WWOOFer, and myself down to Ohonounou. The swimming palce was too crowded, got there too late in the day I guess. There really isn't any public parking, so the roads get filled to near impassable. Bebo took us through the national park grounds, and there is a road that goes to another 'beach' - all lava rock. It's where the locals go to hang out. Once again, the surf was too rough to really get in the water - no protected by here. Phil and I found some tide pools we walked in, and then an area where the ocean water comes in and out. Can't figure how to describe it. Anyways,we were able to find rock 'benches' to sit in the water and chat and watch the waves come in - ya gotta keep an eye on them because every 7th wave, so legend goes, is a BIG one, and it will knock you over if you are not ready for it. Phil got some good scratches. Was good to be in the water. We had to be careful and keep an eye on Bebo, because Phil reported that Bebowill decide to leave and if you are not there, he will leave with out you! Phil gave me the lowdown on Bebo, and to not count on him for anything. He changes his mind on a dime. Be independent, be prepared to feed yourself at any time,never count on him, and just take everything he says with a grain of salt. OK. In the evening, we had a 'potluck'. All the families are suppoosed to attend and discuss the farm. There are renters Silas and Jenny, Henry and Estella, my very close neighbors, Phil and I, and Bebo's daughter and family. Phil and I didn't bring anything, we have no where to store food and we have no facilities to prepare it. Silas brought three kinds of homemade wine. The pineapple/papaya/mango was the best. Very pleasant evening drinking wine, talking with interesting people and eating good food - all on a warm, wonderful Hawaiian night. Priceless!  

About clafave8


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.