Existing Member?

Round the World in 301 Days As long as we can just keep putting one foot in front of the other, well make it.

A Month In The Life Of

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 27 August 2008 | Views [600] | Comments [4]

Dear Diary,

Its been a while. 

Ill start with work – that being where ive spent most of my time for the last few weeks.  I was working for Goldman Sachs, an investment bank in the city center the last time I updated, but that assignment came to an end weeks ahead of schedule due to my having done all the work far quicker than anyone expected.  Dozens of pats on the back for me and a promise that if my manager had any openings he’d give me a call and I could work for them for the duration of my stay in Sydney.

In the mean time it was back to the recruitment agencies and job boards for me!  I got a job straight away from a hostel noticeboard in a garden furniture warehouse, moving, unpacking and selling enormous pots and urns to Sydneys well heeled.  One fountain I sold was tagged at close to $15,000… the garbage people buy is staggering sometimes.  This job I really enjoyed regardless – it was no responsibility box moving, and had it not paid less than a Vietnamese sweatshop owner I might have stayed.  But it didn’t, so I didn’t.

The call came on a Thursday.  Could I please go back and take a full time roll at Goldman Sachs in the PWM Settlements Division.  Ofcourse, said I – See you Monday at 8.30.  And that’s where I am now, and where ill be until the day I leave Sydney.  They want me as long as I can stay!!  The job is, however, the hardest job in the world.  People may as well be speaking Japanese to me, but fortunately its slowly sinking in.  Id say that in another week ill be fluent in Japanese and almost fluent in the impossible computer system they use there, Lion – my arch nemesis.

As for our car, a few days ago i sold the old beast.  Fortunate really, as a few days prior it had just failed its MOT and the mechanic wanted a whopping $700 to replace the front suspension.  Then a pair of unsuspecting Germans rang me and withing hours they'd been to an ATM and taken advantage of the excellent deal i was offering them.  I actually made a profit on the car itself.  Its only fuel expences that have left me reeling, but im sure glad to be shot of that potential timebomb.  Very satisfactory.

 

Jo is still working for the Oz Health Service and loving it.  She is, however, no longer surrounded by 50 something obese ex-nurses, as someone her own mental age started a couple of weeks ago and weve been out for drinks with her and all sorts.  Shes 29 on paper, but 19 in every other respect.  And she has inhumaly low self esteem.  Still, it made for an interesting night out. 

We've been out drinking once in the last month pretty much, between me working every weekend at unusual times and very unusual jobs, and Jo's mercilessly tight saving schedule, but things are starting to take shape like we hoped.  Our plans for the rest of the trip have had plenty of chopping,changing, tucking and trimming and i thing weve shaved off as much as we can here and there to leave only the most ultimate holiday schedule the world has ever seen.  Infact, its been refined and distilled so much that we've had to knock the second trip to New Zealand on the head to finance the rest of the epic voyage we have planned.  And thats including an extra 2 weeks of work we'll be doing as a result.  

Once we leave Sydney were heading North to Cairns and the beaches of North Australia.  10 days ought to do it up there, with no time for dawdling and absolutely no relaxing whatsoever.  Then its a flight to Fiji from where ever we happen to be.  8 days in Fiji holidaying with an intraveneus G+T drip, then off to hawaii for a follow up course of recreational alcoholism for an additional 8 days.  With all that holidaying out the way we can then get down to business.  On the 10th of November we arrive in San Francisco to the welcoming arms of our good friends Boloni and Lorna (referred to from this point on as BoLorna), where we'll take in the sights and sounds of Americas 14th most populous city for a few days before jumping in our rental car, picking up Alan, our 5th for this particular adventure, and hitting the open road.  Ultimately this leg of our trip will be a blur of back slappingly bad jokes, ear to ear smiles and excessive use of the word "Bong!", but i maintain that i think im most excited about this little jaunt more than anything, ever.  We'll end up in Vegas and have done everything the west coast has to offer, including that little backwater to the south,  Mexico. We all go our seperate ways here with Jo and i heading North for a weeks skiing in Colorado.  We've yet to decide where, but we have a friend there whos gonna guide the way and show us a good time.  Im thinking Aspen.  From there its off to Miami and we'll only have a few days to go before take off home to Sweden.  About 18 days i reckon, giving us just enough time to enjoy Disney World (Jo's idea, honest), DC, Boston and a few days in NY NY for christmas shopping.  As long as everyones happy with an "I heart NY" t shirt then that should take about 15 seconds.  Done.   

 

Home on the 20th of December which, going by how fast the last 6 months and 2 days have been, feels like itll be just after the weekend. It'll be straight back to work for us both squeezing in any hours we can before coming Scotland-side on the second of January.  Were there until the 14th and want to see everybody.    E v e r y b o d y!    So that should be great fun!  I was telling Jo yesterday that i miss the Highlander - sitting on the bar stools and having to be taxied home before its even dark after putting 9 pints across my throat and winning then losing at pool to everyone.  Jo says she misses the home cooked food the most.    

 

See you all soon.

 

Comments

1

How lovely to have another story. I did try and call you the other day and got Sandra instead! I tried today but no answer. I'm glad you are back to being an investment banker - it has such a nice ring to it. We had Chris, James, Jonny and Abigail up last week. It was meant to be for one night but on Tuesday I got a call from Joanna saying that Margaret could not hold them back and they would be here in an hour. Even Sam went wild with the vacuum! We walked to the Highlander on the Wednesday for lunch - the stools there miss you too. I had organised a BBQ at Innes's for the Wednesday night so they could fish and they got to go quading which they loved. Jonny managed to put his in a ditch! Beth, Kate, Ken and Seonaid came for the BBQ and Kate took to fishing like a duck to water - we couldn't get her to stop. Sam was standing out in the pouring rain trying to catch something looking like a very wet garden gnome. We couldn't do anything during the day on the Thursday before they left at 5 as it was chucking it down so Chris and I just sat like couch potatoes and watched the Olympics - great! I will email you a picture of Kate thrashing the water.

The rest of your trip sounds like great fun - enjoy every moment. Speak to you soon, love and hugs to you both, miss you. Mum xxx

  Mum Aug 27, 2008 10:23 PM

2

Tried flying this week!!!! Up a ladder in the steading tring to get my bike down from the ceiling via pulleys (toms Invention)

Couldnt hold weight of the bike so go wheeked off the ladder at speed landing on my feet thank goodness followed by the bike crashing down missing me again thank goodness.

Tom in doghouse me left trembling.

Glad all well with you both . What an amazing trip, proud of you both

Kate

  kate and co Aug 27, 2008 10:23 PM

3

See what you have left me to deal with? My mother is determined to damage herself in any way possible as long as it relates to a bike!

The bike ride is this weekend so she is cooking all day today and dad has been checking out routes and generally being a bit too fit for words really!

I'm working hard as always :p The books won't shelve themselves (despite what the members think!) and I seem to be able to assign myself more jobs just by looking at the shelves which I am determined to stop doing soon :p

I just got new glasses, apparently people should update their prescription more often than every 10 years (go figure) - they have changed so much I get seasick when I put them on!!!!! That led to some very interesting shelving experiences, I kept walking into the stacks cause my co-ordination was screwed. Think I might wait before I use them for driving...........

Anyway that is all my mundane news - anything else I'll email you with (if anything exciting ever happens that is!).

Can't wait to see you both - i'll be back at work on the 30th December but hopefully catch you when you are in Edinburgh?

Much love and hugs to you both - update this journal ASAP!!!!!!!!

xxxx

  Mairi Sep 20, 2008 8:10 PM

4

Hmph. That's great!- A US roadtrip and you don't even invite me? No it's okay, don't say anything don't worry I'll just have to find something else to do with my time.

Hope you and Luigi are well. Be seeing you at christmas time I hope.

  Duffath Sep 23, 2008 5:36 PM

About cjmurdoch


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.