Existing Member?

Round the World in 301 Days As long as we can just keep putting one foot in front of the other, well make it.

Adelaide - the South East

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 16 May 2008 | Views [548] | Comments [3]

In the last three days ive driven over three thousand kilometers.  10 hours of driving a day, three days straight with about a fifteen minute pause for lunch and an occasional two minute pause for some photo taking at one of the thousand sites of interest along the way.  Regretably we did miss out on some good sign posts advertising such interesting places as 'Balaclava' or 'Iron Knob', i was going to fast to stop and Jo wasnt in camera ready mode as we blasted by them.  Ill get the sanps we did take up soon enough, theres not many though, as i sat practically stone still for 3 days.  We were lucvky on night 2 and pulled into some little backwater twon who offered a gigantic en-suite double room for only $70.  Whats more it was roast nite in the local restaurant and for $10 you could eat until you were fit to burst, someting Jo and i both did while thanking God that it wasnt sausage and mash night.  Its only in the country you can find these places that are 5 star quality at no star prices.  And local hospitality is always far far better out in the sticks.  Almost a universal truth though im sure.

The cars still going like a dream but is a thirsty monster requiring several thousand litres of unleaded to get us from Perth to here.  In the middle of the desert it was 30 cents more per litre than in the cities.  OUTRAGEOUS!  We could have flown first class from Perth all the way here for less than we spent on fuel.  As a result im going to have to sell the car for thousands of dollars more than i bought it for, or declare bankruptcy.

Tonight were meeting up with a friend of Jos who is studying here and shes going to show us the town that you only see as a resident.  I think thats code for plenty of drinking in all the cheapest places, and if it isnt ill be devastated.  Im sure itll be nothing cultured anyway, so thats a plus - i havent got my drink on in quite a while now!

I hope all is well with each of you too, get in touch and let me know if anything exciting is underway back there.

Melbourne next, but for now im gonna let the car have a 4 day break.  Its earned it.

Comments

1

The one about Jo being white knuckled had me in fits of giggles. No serenading for you. I am not sure driving straight through is actually seeing the country, what about a leisurely trip! I will email you with all Sandra's contact details, when do you think you will be in Melbourne? Enjoy Adelaide, and being upright for most of the day instead of sitting. Love to you both, Mum xx

  Mum May 16, 2008 6:55 PM

2

hi chris,

here are the things going on with me:

-Moving back to Linda's to work at walkers.
-Working at walkers cause i could not find a job in dundee but will still be paying rent.
-In horrible amounts of debt that will take more horrible amounts of time to pay off.
-Considering some sort of high end scheme to make some quick cash, still to be arranged though. watch this space (or look for it in the paper)not really, i wouldnt broadcast a crime before i commit it that would be silly...................

Sounds like your having a lot of fun, hopefully i will be able to have some of that sometime soon but im not getting my hopes up, main aim in current life: pay back monies.

  sam May 17, 2008 7:16 PM

3

Nothing new here im afraid, only your journals to keep us amused. Looking forward to a summer of golf now my "playing partners" are back in town. keep up the good work.
Dad.

  dad May 17, 2008 7:23 PM

About cjmurdoch


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.