Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

Home Sweet Home....again

CANADA | Friday, 15 September 2006 | Views [237]

Home Sweet Home....again




Home again. It has been a very interesting two weeks. If I thought Australia was hard to believe, I've now realized there is nothing more surreal than being away for a year, then suddenly coming home after only two weeks notice. It’s been a dream that I'm slowly waking up from. In some ways it seems like so much has changed, but in other ways it seems like I never left.

The months leading up to my homecoming were amazing. I lived in a beautiful neighborhood, had great friends and worked some very interesting jobs. In my last update I had just received a position as a foreign currency officer. They were very upfront about the fact that I would have to lie about certain things and asked if I was alright with that. It turns out I wasn’t, so I let the job go and decided from then on I would work in something I enjoyed, something I was passionate about something like… selling Accidental Death Insurance…. Okay, so it wasn’t my first choice, but Westpac bank (the oldest bank in Australia) was starting a campaign to sell this new insurance and they needed sales reps to do it. For two months I worked my butt off, doing the hardest job I’ve ever done! Lo and behold, it paid off. I ended up getting the Agent of the Month award and I won a trip for two to Queensland! On top of that, I decided to start a job on weekends and I began working in the "Church and Wellesley" area of Melbourne at a place called Jackie O’s . Our two chefs were lesbians and the four other waiters were gay......and then there was me. The place is owned by two older greek men who have to tolerate them because it's all their friends who are our major customer base. Everyday I would hear something like, "Oi, I vil never get used to a man buying another man flowers!*Huuk Pppt*! Every Sunday I served a huge table of drag queens. While at first they were quite scary up close, not to mention very bitchy, I soon got to know them. The head Queen had had hundreds of thousands of dollars in plastic surgery, but had the deepest voice a man could have, so she… or he… or it, would have to speak in falsetto. It was not only disturbing, it was almost impossible for me to keep a straight face while taking orders. At least the guys I worked with were a lot of fun. There was Clementine, which honestly, if you’re going to name your son Clementine, you should expect he will be gay. Then there was Mark, the head gay. 45 years old, grumpy, and very lonely, Brad, the bitchy gay and Phil, the baby gay. None of us had to work there because we all had serious jobs during the week - Designer, Microbiologist, Insurance, but we all worked there because we just loved it. It was this weird world we’d all enter into on weekends. I really miss it.

As all good things must come to an end, the realization that my visa was running out slowly dawned on me. I tried to ignore the fact that the time was coming to make a decision, but without knowing it, plans for my return were already in the works. A job opportunity at home was brought to my attention by one of my friends and after a lot of sleepless nights, I decided that even though it would bring me home two months earlier than I had expected, it was the right thing to do. My last two weeks there were an emotional rollercoaster. I had (another) going away party, even better than the last one, where we had a final big barbeque at our place with all our friends. Ian and I spent the last couple days on our own, renting a beautiful little Victorian cottage in wine country. We spent a day wine and cheese tasting, which I've always wanted to do. The whole experience was amazing and we will definitely be back.

My flight home lasted almost 50 hours with a 24 hour stopover in L.A. With nothing to do and nowhere to go I knew it was going to be a very long night….. or would it? Well, to make a long story short, I got to customs, but instead of getting interrogated by the customs officer, he asked me out. Yup, so I went from being homeless to riding down the coast in a customs officer’s BMW to a swanky seafood restaurant by the ocean. Now don’t get the wrong idea, he knew I had a boyfriend. He was recently knew to L.A. too and knew what it was like to not to know where to go or what to do. He was a perfect gentleman. He took me out and spoiled me, then drove me back to the airport and escorted me in passed all the line-ups of travelers being interrogated at the front doors. Oh the power you’re granted when walking with a man with a gun. Yeah, I wasn’t all that cool. As soon as he left me, I ran to the phone to call Ian to say, “Guess where I just was?...”

Well, I finally made it. As much as I’m missing Melbourne desperately, it’s been really good seeing people. I’m trying to soak it in while I can, as I’m only here for three months. Ian is heading over in December (yay!) and we’re very excited about that. He can’t wait to meet my friends and family and the feeling is mutual. After Christmas, we’re heading over to London and Germany, then to S.E. Asia for another few months before ending up back in Melbourne. After that, we don’t really have a plan, although for me to know what I’m doing for the next three months is pretty remarkable. I thought this year away would be it for me, but it’s just the beginning! I already cannot wait to see what the year ahead has in store for me!

Tags: Work

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.