Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

Back to Oz

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 10 June 2006 | Views [253]

Back to Oz

The Three Amigos

In front of our House




Our Kitchen


James and Me




































Our Place













Byron Trip











Byron Flood


Aussie Soccer 4:00am
Smoke Rings
Our Backyard

Soccer Match 4:30am


And back to Aussie land we went…. Just when I’d finally gotten used to New Zealand currency. Going back to Australia felt strangely like going home. There was also the excitement of staying in one place for longer than a week, and actually having a bed of my own. Even little things like having a bathroom. Oh, the anticipation of running water was almost too much!

When we arrived in Melbourne they were experiencing a recording breaking heat wave for that time of year and it coincided perfectly the Commonwealth games that had just started. For the next week Polly, Ian, James (my new roommates) and I went back and forth between moving into our new place and enjoying all the events in the city. We’d go and see free events throughout the day and during the evenings enjoy amazing concerts and shows from all over the world. At the end of the week Polly headed back to England and James, Ian and I settled into our home. Settling in pretty much involved our friends coming over for drinks and barbeque every single night. What better way to settle into Australian life?

Over Easter weekend, since I wasn’t working yet and Ian just felt like taking off somewhere, we rented a car and drove the 24 hours to Byron Bay for the annual Blues and Roots Festival. It was incredible. Five days of concerts featuring acts such as Xavier Rudd, David Gray, Pete Murray, Martha Wainright and India Irie, on 4 different stages. The weather was +35 and the waves at the beach were huge! We had such a blast even though our accommodations fell through and we had to sleep in the car every night. The day we left, there were torrential down pours and the whole town got flooded! We barely made it out in time. The drive is a full 24 hours each way. And is probably one of the most stressful things I’ve done, especially with Ian insisting we stop at every dead kangaroo we passed on the side of the road to make sure it didn't have a live joie inside the pouch. With one, he actually tugged the little feet sticking out and felt the pouch to make sure he felt no movement. Gross. This is a serious outback man we're talking about here. Imagine the upset when after trying to save every kangaroo, an owl flew straight into our windshield and killed itself. Ian didn’t get over it for days.

Melbourne is an amazing city. Ever since I’ve been here there has always been something going on. First, the Melbourne Cup, Australian open, the Commonwealth Games, which I was incredibly lucky to be here for, then the Grand Prix, the Comedy Festival, the Film Festival, “footy” (Aussie rules football) and now they’ve made it into the world cup for soccer. Not only do I love the city we live in, but I love our area. We’re a fifteen minute jog down our street to the beach, surrounded by parks and cafes, and most importantly, two streets over from Ian’s parent’s house which means at least one free meal a week (yay!). We are very lucky. James is Italian and get this, his two cousins on one side are construction workers, so everything in our house gets fixed for free and his other cousin owns a pasta factory around the corner so we never go hungry. Ha! As for our neighbours, all I can say is that they’re interesting. On one side we have a lady who, to put it delicately, has something wrong with her. She comes out every morning when we leave the house, and yells (in a voice comparible to Kermit the Frog) “What’s the big idea?!” At night while we’re on the front porch she comes out with her huge spotlight, shines it in our faces and yells, “What’s the big idea?!” She won’t tell us her name so Ian started calling her “What’s The Big Idea”, and now it’s stuck. On the other side we have a crooked old woman who hobbles over once a week to whack her walker against our (glass) front door to comment on something we’re doing that she doesn’t approve of. For example, we have too many bottles in our recycling box, and she disapproves of our wooden venetian blinds. I kid you not. Across from us lives a very sentimental drug dealer who freaked James out by giving him a chocolate bunny for Easter. For three days James would spontaneously blurt out, “Why did he give me a chocolate bunny?!” So Ian and I ate it. He’s now moved on to making James chocolate cake. We also have a three legged cat that waits by our door every night for us to let it in and give it some attention. So as you can see, it is a motley crew that keeps us constantly entertained.

So you’re probably wondering what I’ve been doing for work. “WORK”. The word was very foreign for a while. Well, I was hired by the Australian Institute of Mathematics to do direct marketing of a children’s tutorial program. To make a long story short, I was promoted to supervisor within the first month, which was good financially, but not mentally. There were three of us supervisors, all under quite a bit of pressure. While I found it a good challenge at first, within a very short period of time the other supervisors and I became stressed and very unhappy. I pretty much decided one day that although the opportunity was excellent, I only have a short period of time left in Melbourne and I want to be enjoying it. I don’t know what I would have done without James and Ian. They always had a glass of wine waiting for me when I’d get home from work and when I got promoted they taped my certificate on the fridge like proud parents. We all look out for each other and take care of each other, so when they saw how unhappy I was they convinced me it wasn’t worth it. James was having issues with his job too and quit and Ian has been home studying for his exams, so for the past two weeks we’ve all been home watching Australian soaps, sitting on the back patio enjoying the sunshine and enjoying each others company. I start my new job next week as a foreign currency officer, so I have to get in all the soaps I can over the next few days. : ) The only downfall of Ian studying at home is that James and I are always his targets. Ian is finishing his remedial massage degree and every night someone is on the massage table in our kitchen, getting cracked, twisted, or stretched. This is remedial, not relaxation massage, so it HURTS! I don’t really know how much more either of us can take! Ian has started recruiting patients from everywhere. Lately, it’s been the sentimental drug-dealer frequenting our kitchen massage table. Apparently Ian has healed him and now he’s promised to make Ian a chocolate cake. How precious! Melbourne, although sunny most days, has gotten cold and we haven’t had our heating installed yet. In fact, it’s so cold we actually have to wear our hats and scarves inside and every morning Ian and I kill ourselves laughing as we blow smoke rings, just from talking in our freezing cold kitchen. Ah well, I lived in a tent for a month. At least I have running water now.

So life has calmed down, which is good. It’s impossible to go at the rate I was going for too long. We just had a huge 30th surprise party for Ian, which was probably the best night we’ve have since I’ve been back, although his birthday lasted every night for a week. I think I’ll make a point of doing the same for mine next year.

It’s plain to see I’m in the sports capital of the world. I just wish I actually knew something about sports…. As I mentioned, I am extremely lucky to be in Australia this year, not only for the Commonwealth Games, but also because Australia has made it into the World Cup for soccer for the first time in 32 years. I can’t begin to explain the excitement in the city right now. It doesn’t matter that the games start at 2:00am and finish at 5:00am on a week night. Everyone is up and watching. It is a VERY frightening place to be in a room or even worse, a pub, with a bunch of big, insane Aussie men when they’ve won a match. You never know what will get broken. Hopefully not myself, but there are no guarantees.

Anyway, although I’m loving my time here I’m also looking forward to heading home in a couple months. I probably won’t have much to tell until then, but then again, you never know….

In the meantime, I love hearing from you so please keep in touch!

P.s.I've included photos of my house, backyard, kitchen and roomates.....Incase you were interested. :)

Tags: Friends

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.