Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Moving out and up

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Tuesday, 20 October 2009 | Views [569] | Comments [3]

Funny how it took me five months to finally post pictures of my house, (nicely decorating it with some family pictures) and now within a month I am moving. I hate to leave this house, despite the lack of water and the (sometimes, depending on the heat) far walk into the center of town, but I have been offered a house that I really can’t pass up. It was the house I originally wanted, one block away from the park, one block away from the beach (not the pretty one, but a beach nonetheless), and three blocks away from my host family. No tinaco, but running water depending on the water gods, which still means I am going to have to fill up my tanks for storage, but at least I won’t be paying for it. I just have to be at home at the right time. Just like the luz. It really is a step up. Did I mention the price? It is about half of what I am paying now – yay! It comes with a few antique pieces, rocking chairs, a bed, a washing machine!!!, tables and chairs, and a few dishes. This house has been passed around amongst volunteers for years, so the owners know that I will take good care of the house (which counts for the discounted price). Plus easier for me to attend meetings, closer to my project’s Escuela de Pintura, and the guagua stop for Santo Domingo. I am so lucky, but a bit sad to leave this barrio, even though I have had my share of problems here. See you later my peeping-tom. Not sad to not have you as my neighbor anymore.  But, being in town means not hearing the frogs, and not being able to look out my window and see palm trees, mountains, sugar cane, all the bright green of the campo. And moving into this house also means giving Luna up. Thankfully she is going back to her owner before me, so I know she will be well taken care of, but I can’t help but feeling like a traitor.

I have until the end of the month to take in as much of my house as possible, before having to pack up, redecorate, and feel at home again in my new house.

 

Comments

1

woo hoo!! a new place to go visit. can't wait. so long luna, ya crazy dog!! hello peace and quiet! less mosquitos too, right? goodbye toe jam, ya weirdo. this is great christy. =)

  bq Oct 20, 2009 10:40 AM

2

enjoy the move! we miss youuuuuuuuu.

  sara Oct 24, 2009 4:38 AM

3

Guess what I found in Vallarta the other day...BRUGAL!! Now I can get my drink on even when the bottles I brought back are empty!

  bq Oct 24, 2009 10:47 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.