Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Thanksgiving. Work.

USA | Wednesday, 10 December 2008 | Views [349] | Comments [1]

This is something I had been working on, but my internet is not that reliable now, as it all depends on whether or not the guy in charge of the building is working and if we have luz, so it may be old news...but here goes:

Normal 0 false false false st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Last week I went into the capitol, and I forgot about the noise and how expensive everything is. Even when staying in a $4 hostel, it really does add up with transportation, food, plus some other materials I needed to buy that I otherwise could not get from my town. At least on the way into Santo Domingo, I was able to get a free ride in with my host family. It made for a much faster ride and even included my little host brother getting car sick from all of the curves and fast driving. Good thing we had a bag for him to puke in. Several bags. We were driving through a neighboring town and ran into another volunteer who was waiting for the bus to come through. She was also going into the capitol, so it was perfect timing for her and got to ride with us. I was happy she didn’t get grossed out with my little brother puking right next to her.

Most of the volunteers were in for the big Thanksgiving dinner that some of the older (not in years old, but in time of service) volunteers had worked on organizing all year. It was so nice to meet up with my group again, and to finally see what the other volunteers were about. We are all so different, and it almost felt like a big family reunion. I know that it has only been a month in my site, but it was good to catch up on everyone’s new life out of training. I pigged out like never before. I had forgotten how yummy thanksgiving could be. I ate so much I felt as if my heart rate had slowed down. I went into this food coma where I just sat and hung out with some friends with this dazed look on my face. I was so full I didn’t think I could ever eat again. The food was so good, and I especially loved the pecan pie. Yum! I am not a big pecan pie fan, but this one tasted like heaven, probably because it is not something I can have here.

I shared a bed with my friend at the hostel, since it was cheaper, and during the night I felt itchy. I am not sure if it was in my head (I was also sleeping without a mosquito net – scary) but I felt as if there was bugs crawling on me. My friend felt the same. We had heard horror stories of bedbugs and getting scabies from that hostel. But we decided to take a chance and sleep there. It really wasn’t bad, or maybe I got a lucky bed. I did notice though, that when I changed beds the next night, the same sheets were on there from someone else, but I was so tired, I just went to sleep anyways. No rats and no roaches, or at least that I could see/hear, so no worries there. I do have to admit that it was nice to take a shower (cold, of course) but it was an actual shower, and a refreshing alternative to my bucket baths.

In catching up with one friend, he told me that he has a family of mice living inside his mattress. Now that the weather is getting a bit colder, the mice have moved from the wall and into his mattress where they can burrow and keep warm. He just hits the mattress when they start to move around and then they keep still. Then he can sleep. Thank goodness I do not have that problem. I had my rat issues early on, and so maybe that is why I am clear in this new home. Let’s see what my own place will bring. I am willing to get a cat if necessary.

I am working on a grant that I need to finish within the week, and I opted to writing this one in Spanish, even though I could easily turn it in in English. I figured I should get used to thinking and writing in Spanish. I just have to get into this different way of thinking, and its a bit hard when listening to Hall & Oates (yes, I am a dork) on my Ipod.

This week I have been approached by different people if I could spare some money. Most people think that as a foreigner, I must have a lot of money. Unfortunately, I have to turn them away as I don’t have much myself. I hate it, I feel so bad, but I don’t want people to believe that I do have money and have it become a habit. I was warned about it, and I knew I would feel guilty because I am sure they don’t believe me when I say I don’t have money even after the whole my being a volunteer story.  

 

Comments

1

Christy with a cat? I'm going to have to visit once you get it, since I won't believe it until I see it!

Miss you!

  lety Q Dec 11, 2008 4:48 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.