Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Cover-up. Christy Bobble-Head.Bote

USA | Tuesday, 11 November 2008 | Views [431] | Comments [5]

I am sitting here trying to write an entry while my youngest host brother overlooks my shoulder. Every time I am on, here is right here beside me, waiting for me to get off the internet so that he can go on as well and play games. He just burped and it smells like salami even though I know all he had was a cheese sandwich.  So gross.  But he cracks me up. He is this chubby 7 year old that is always eating and likes to wander the house in just his undies. Yet, he just patted my belly and told me that I was ¨ llenita¨ which means full, in a chubby sense. This from a 7 year old boy! I cannot escape comments on my weight. Thanks.  I just have to remember that things are told the way it is. At least for most things.  For example, I have been parading around in either tank tops or short sleeved shirts.  ¿No shame in that, right? This would not be the case if I didn’t have a tattoo halfway down my arm. Apparently I must cover up when entering in any church, school, or any type of meeting. I have no problem with that, but why didn’t anyone tell me that before my director showed up and then brought it to my attention in front of her? They could have told me before, and I would have listened.  I felt like an idiot, but now I know. Must wear a long sleeve or sweater when meeting with youth, so that their mothers don’t think I am a bad influence. I forgot about that. Which means that I will be sweating even more than the usual-who would have thought that possible?   My same host brother just came and breathed on me so that I could smell that he just brushed his teeth.  Yum.

I forgot to mention that there is a common word-phrase that is used in every conversation, young and old. It took me a while to figure it out. In the middle of any sentence you will hear ¿Oiste? – which means ¨You hear or listened?¨  or ¨Me entiendes¨ which means ¨You understand me?¨ I thought they were trying to make it clear that I was understanding what they were saying, but after every few words? I kept shaking my head, over and over. Yes, I understand you. Yes, I understand you. I felt and sometimes still do, like a human bobble-head.  My neck was hurting from shaking my head all the time, nonstop. I would have stopped you if I didn’t understand! Now I realize that they say that to everyone, it is just a common way of speaking.  But it is even funnier to hear it from little kids, as if they have all the authority in the world.  I don’t think I will pick up that phrase, but never say never. It just may come out one day, and I won’t even think it weird anymore. I do  still shake my head when they say that, but not after every one, otherwise my head would have rolled off by now.

Last week I went on a mini boat trip to help search for dolphins. I volunteered with a researcher here in town who takes a few boat trips every week around the bay. It is part of a feasibility study for an ecotourism project. Pretty nice volunteer trip, lucky me.  Out to sea in a bote or small boat, searching the horizon for any dolphin activity. I didn’t see any, but we did take a break on a very pretty beach that was empty and had clear water. Coconuts were dropping from the trees. I heard them plopping around me, and I made sure to not be standing directly under one of those. Otherwise I would have had to have a nice Dominican carry me back to the boat. It was hot, of course, and I got a bit burned, despite the sunscreen and hat I was wearing. It was a peaceful ride out to sea, and the captain was not bad to look at either. I will probably be joining her again this week, since I need to check out a site for an ecotourism project I will be working on as well. Need to take some pictures and have an idea of what I am working with.  This time I will definitely wear sunscreen on my feet, so that they don’t get burned. Right now I have some weird tan from my tevas. And I really need to get rid of it. ¿Oistes?

Comments

1

Hi,
You go girl, you just let that bobble head bobble when you see that captain. but keep your mouth closed. lol
boy standing on the beach, with clear water and coconuts falling around you,what a pleasant sight and feeling. I hope you soak in all these feelings and can remember them always.Nothing to new with the family, my mom will be visiting soon, work is the same lots of O.T even Sat,last heard staff may grow to 200. better go,be good,be carefull and make wise choices. Make up proud as always.
Love Lid

  Lid Nov 11, 2008 2:49 PM

2

hey. is the captain a guy or a girl? i'm just wondering if you're switching teams on us. haha. love you, have fun.

  bq =) Nov 11, 2008 4:41 PM

3

Too too funny Christy. oistes? I'm gonna start saying that to Alex. So your bros came and watched Effie while Celia was getting bandaged from a hiking wound. We miss you! They were parading around in your sweet car. Haha.. I heard they had permission though to scoot it around.
Me and Becky will one day send you something via snail mail. Just wait.

  Sara Nov 11, 2008 6:28 PM

4

I love reading your sories. I read it to Bobby yesterday and showed him some of your pictures. He said he has to go there because he has to do a project for school and we don't have what he needs here. If he only knew... He remembers you as Lupe's baby?? I think your mom told him that. I showed him a picture of you and I from El Oro, and one from High School and he asked me what happened to your hair. Wow timed passed so fast. Have fun!! We miss you.
Love, Josie

  Josie Sandi Nov 12, 2008 4:05 AM

5

It sounds like when someone you're speaking with someone here and they constantly say, "You know what I'm saying?" i cant stand that.


Billy

  billy Karan Nov 12, 2008 7:17 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.