Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

I've Struck GOLD.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Friday, 24 October 2008 | Views [455] | Comments [4]

Monday came and I finally received my project site and my cell phone. Finally, I can call someplace more my home. Or at least for the next three months. You can now find me in Miches, on the east coast of the DR. It is a small pueblo of about 10,000 right on the beach. I did not ask for a beach site like others did, but I got lucky and landed one. I was told on project partner day that I have struck gold, in terms of my site and the organization I am going to be working with. I will be working with promoting and developing art with the youth of the community. Lucky me. I am so excited to get to know my community. Even if it is bigger than I thought in terms of the pueblo size. But no complaints, since there are more colmados and random convenience stores to choose from. Plus the beach! It is two blocks away from where I am staying. I can see the ocean as I step out of the house. And a pretty beach to lie about and swim in only a 5 min walk away - it almost seems private. It is empty. Just you and the beach. I wet my toes yesterday and the water is pretty warm. Can't wait to go in on Saturday. I am about 4 hours away from the capital, just a guagua away that goes directly here. The last hour of the trip is bumpy, but going through the mountains and seeing the lush greenery and the waterfall is breathtaking. Over the mountains and through the tress and onto the beach. Any takers? Now will someone come visit me? The first three months I will be staying with a new host family, and I love them already. I have been so lucky as to have placed with good families - there really are some horror stories out there in terms of host families.

Now I have to get used to having a cell phone on me again. I liked not having one, most of the time. But it will definitely come in handy. Especially because all of my calls received are free for me. So feel free to give me a call....:)And let me know when you will be stopping by. Now you know where to find me.

Comments

1

HOLA CHRISTY :)
GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT A PROJECT AND AN INCREDIBLE LOCATION! IM THERE! I WANNA GO VISIT!
HOPE ALL IS WELL!

HENRY

  HENRY Oct 24, 2008 8:10 AM

2

Hellooooooo. That sounds so pretty. I'm really excited for you. You'll definitely get a tan now with your private beach so close. You can bathe in the nude (give 'em a show!). I'm gonna visit you. I'm really tempted to get a new passport before though cuz I look like a man in the picture. =) I love you and I miss you.

---Your BFF (not Lety)

  Becky Q. Oct 24, 2008 8:12 AM

3

What can I say but, Wow, Wow, Wow. What a location, and what a job.I guess everyone crossing there fingers and everything else helped. Whoo hoo for you. What happens after your first 3 months. Do you ever get to live on your own. Takes lots of pic, make them picture postcard like. I want one for a screen saver.
Be good, be safe, and make smart choices. . .
Love Lid

  Lydia Oct 24, 2008 12:44 PM

4

Hay good job on the 26 pictures. You look comfortable and happy. Loved the pic of the pond and waterfall, looked like fun, cute pic of the pigs and the best pic was the last one, of you looking so happy. But want to know who all the people are in the group pic?

Take care, you know the rest

  Lydia Oct 29, 2008 12:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.