Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Avocados!?! Crickets. Museum Field Trip.

USA | Tuesday, 30 September 2008 | Views [408] | Comments [8]

Hungry? Avocados are everywhere around here. There is definitely not a shortage, nor will there ever be one. They are huge too, and are usually served at every meal. It grossed me out at first, and I couldn´t figure out why all the volunteers were going crazy over them. At first I stayed away, but one time I was so hungry that I ate some, and in order to avoid the taste I mixed it with some rice. It made my stomach hurt afterwards, seriously. Not my favorite, most of you know that. My host mom in Santo Domingo knew better than to serve me avocados, I made that clear from the beginning - no meat and no avocados. But now that I am in the campo, I find myself eating it. I try to mix it with my other food to make it taste better. Its not that I am forced to eat it, but I think I may actually like it. I am embarassed to admit it. Just a little. I still don´t think its the fruit of life (as Becky claims) but I can tolerate it a bit more. You would be so proud of me.

My first night in the campo I asked my host dad what the loud noises where. It was so loud, I thought they were cicadas (spelling?) like they have in Costa Rica, but turns out that they are crickets. There are all in sync and pretty loud. Especially ´cause its so quiet, out in the middle of the different plantations. So I am eating my dinner and he points out the cricket that is crawling by our feet. He bends over, smashes it with his palm and pretty much shoves it in my face to show me what a cricket was. Right as I was chewing. Look! This is a cricket! I wanted to laugh, and was pretty grossed out, but I figured I should be greatful for the cricket demonstration. But I really did not need an up close and deadly version of it. Looks like the crickets back home, except here they are black, in case you wanted to know.

There was a foam party on Saturday night, which was pretty fun, except there really wasn´t much foam. More like litte spurts of soapy water, and only in one area of the dance floor. So much for a foam party, but it was fun to dance and hang out with the group outside of the classroom setting. Beer is pretty cheap, if you are not on a volunteer salary. Because if you are, it is EXPENSIVE. Anyone visiting me with be glad to hear that you can get a large beer for almost 2 dollars. Presidente beer. And lots of avocados. 

Last week I went to visit the house that the Mirabal sisters used to live in. It was pretty eerie and cool at the same time. They still had all of their old clothes and the way the house was once set up. Old paintings, dishes, and even some of the bloody items that were found in the car or on them when they were killed. Unfortunately I could not take pictures inside, but I did take some outside of the house. If you are interested, rent / read In the Time Of The Butterflies by Julia Alvarez so that you can see what I am talking about. It takes place during the Trujillo dictatorship. Or you can rent / read La Fiesta del Chivo which is also part of the DR history. My host dad was 25 when Trujillo was killed and he has some interesting stories to tell about that time, he is like a walking dictionary / encyclopedia. You ask him one thing and he will end up talking to you about all sorts of different things. That is if he is not busy playing dominos, otherwise he is all business in the game.

Have to go...get started on my interviews and presentation for this Friday. Unless we do end up going into the city for some dancing. Nothing but merengue, bachata, y regaeton. Yay.

Comments

1

My first blog shout out. Woop woop! Avocados are the freaking fruit of life. You are going to fall completely in love with them and want to smother them all over your body. Who knows, maybe you'll attract a fella with the scent of aguacates on your neck and on your underarms. Sexy!! Miss you mucho, mucho. =)

Love always,

Your dorkus alamorkus and favorite cousin, person, best friend.

  Becky Q is up in this motha!!! Sep 30, 2008 12:34 PM

2

I love reading your doings. It is quite fascinating and you are a terrific writer. At least they are not feeding the crickets to you with the avocados...
Enjoy.
e

  Elyse Oct 1, 2008 11:19 AM

3

Hey Christy!!!!!!!!!!! I finally found my way to your diary. I can not access it at work because they have internet blocks on the computers. Your mama said that you had written so I thought i would write a few words. First of all - I MISS YOU!!!!! It is not the same here without you - I miss sharing cheese jokes with you. You always laughed at my cheesey jokes - am i funny or were you just being kind??? I was accustomed to seeing you walk in the house after work at 7:10 except on Monday when you went to yoga. Only 26 months to go!!!! I enjoy reading your stories. It must be a very interesting trip to be on where everything is almost completely different from what you have been accustomed to. Simply with the differences in the weather - leaving the hot dry climate to go where it is hot, humid, rainy and with loud thunderstorms. The humidity would just ruin my hair (if I had any!!) And then the food - I would probably starve if I ate the way you are - and what loser said that avacados are the fruit of life? They are green and smooshy!!! I ate avacado one time and was as sick as can be. Many say it was the tequila that I drank while eating avacado dip but I say it was the avacado that made me sick. And then you have rats to deal with??? I can't imagine trying to sleep knowing that there may ba rat sniffing at my toes looking for a good meal!! And then the mosquitos - I know that at night if the mosquitos are out I can usually not get away with them swooping down on me to get their share of the sweet blood of your daddy. Thank goodness that you have a skeeter net. I saw the picture of it - it looks pretty big. It doesnt look strong enough though to keep a rat out. I can't imagine taking a cold bucket shower or having to use an outhouse with a bucket of water. I am so spoiled. I need my hot water and the comfort of a real bathroom. Most people do not know just how lucky they are to have all the conveniences that we have. We truly are all spoiled. I imagine that these experiences for you are worth all that you are going through. I envy you for being able to do what you are doing. I have never had the opportunity like that. I tell people at work about your PC work and they tell me that you must have a heart made of gold. I tell them that they are right - you are one in a trillion!!! I am very proud of you and what you are doing. Rest assured that we are here thinking of you, missing you and are wishing the best - stay safe and keep smiling!!! Don't forget to put your right hand on your left shoulder, your left hand on your right shoulder and then give yourself a strong hug everynight - the hug is from your daddy!!! I love you Christy!!!!

  Dad!!! Oct 1, 2008 12:01 PM

4

Hi Christy,

I'm so glad you are posting your adventures, I try to look at your pictures and read your stories as often as possible. It's amazing! Sounds like you are adjusting well. Have lots of fun and dance until you can't dance anymore. Take Care.

Love, Josie

  Josie Oct 2, 2008 8:21 AM

5

what the hell...your dad called me a loser!!! i'll make a note of this. kisses. we're gonna go visit hershel tonight. =)

----becky q.

  becky q Oct 2, 2008 8:58 AM

6

Don't forget this Becky...

  lety Q is the real best friend.... Oct 3, 2008 12:15 PM

7

Keep dreaming Lety....

  Christy + Becky = BFF's for life Oct 3, 2008 3:57 PM

8

To the Q´s:
You girls are such dorks! I love you both! Your entries made me laugh.

Dad:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Its not too hard to take cold bucket baths when its so hot here, but looking back we are pretty spoiled back in the States. Does that mean you won´t come and visit me in the campo?

Thanks Elyse and Josie for your posts! Avocados and crickets? More like ants and flies with my avocados. They get in my food and drinks. Oh well. More protein I guess.

  Me Oct 4, 2008 12:57 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.