Existing Member?

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: one girl's quest to see the world

Hello, London!

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 17 December 2009 | Views [589]

Well, dear readers, I have arrived in sunny (yes, sunny!) London and am having a grand time.  My flight was a little delayed from Boston and I took my time getting through Heathrow and as such was rewarded with a discounted day ticket on the Tube since it was off-peak!  A fabulous start!

I came into Piccadilly Circus and just started wandering.  Upon Charlotte's recommendation I decided to make it to Buckingham Palace and Big Ben/Westminster Abbey, though in all honesty I planned to do it later this afternoon.  Instead, my wandering "toward the river" ended up in St. James park and I happened upon the palace *just* as the changing of the guard was occurring.  How lovely!

While definitely crisp, the weather is bright and lovely and as long as I walk briskly I am keeping warm even without a coat.  The cold air is quite nice actually since I hardly slept a wink on the flight and no amount of caffeine can make up for that lack of rest.  So I just have to avoid long trips on the Tube (for fear of falling asleep and ending up in who-knows-where) and keep exploring.  

My favorite culinary treat so far: Scottish porridge with raisins and dried apples.  So delicious. I've been advised to try high tea at the Liberty, so I may venture that way after the Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre.  Then it's back to Heathrow for my flight to Nairobi.  Here's hoping I'm tired enough to sleep all the way there.  My inkling is that I will be..

Hope everyone is doing well!  Day 1 is off to a great start.  Cheerio!

Tags: food, london, so so so tired

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.