Existing Member?

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: one girl's quest to see the world

I'm home. That's about all my brain can process right now.

USA | Thursday, 19 July 2007 | Views [357]

I got out of my bed at the Zurich Youth Hostel 21 hours ago. I distinguish "got out of my bed" from "woke up" since I didn't actually sleep last night for fear of oversleeping my alarm and missing my flight. Silly me. No need to fear that as my flight was delayed first just 2 hours... and then 3... and by the time we landed we were nearly 4 hours late. So I missed my connection to New York. Both the old one and the new one they rebooked me on when they realized my plane would be delayed. And the earliest they could get me on another connection was nearly 9pm since all of the earlier flights were full. 

SO... I grabbed my bag after going through customs, found my way to the Philly train station, got a ticket to New York, and (get this) got a pretzel from Auntie Anne's. I just spent three freaking weeks in Germany (including an entire week in Bavaria, land of pretzels) and I came home to Philadelphia and ate a pretzel. My brain is completely fried.

I finally made it back to the city, took the subway up to my new stop (yay!), got to my apartment... and realized I couldn't remember which of three keys opened which locks and which direction to turn in and it was a good 10 minutes before I could get into my building. 

But everything is fine now. I am home. My luggage is home. My contacts are pretty much permanent fixtures in my eyes now because we're going on nearly 22 hours and things are getting just a bit loopy... like how the "y" and "z" letters are back where they are supposed to be except I keep typing them as opposites because that is the way the German and Swiss keyboards are and now I'm just rambling so the long story short is...

Home.
Yay!
Going to bed.

Tags: exhausted yet happy, home, new york

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.