Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Discovering Aberdeenshire for a Staycation

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 21 July 2020 | Views [176]

People across the country are looking at all the different options that are available for a staycation. Britain is a great country to live in as it is so diverse and the holiday options here are wide ranging and suit almost every type of getaway you could wish for. With lots of people across the country looking to book some kind of getaway over the next few months, you’d be forgiven for wanting to try and stay away from the tourist hotspots.

For the most part, a lot of places that are popular with UK tourists are the same places that international tourists like to visit as well. This might include the West End of London, Windsor, the Lake District, Edinburgh during the festival, or Belfast. If you want to escape the crowds, you can look north to Aberdeenshire. Today, we will show some of what’s on offer here.

Stunning Coastal Scenery

Scotland has frequently been voted as one of the most beautiful countries in the world. It topped the list curated by Rough Guide a few years ago, and frequently makes it in the top 5 of other polls across the internet. The reason for this is that much of Scotland’s breath-taking scenery is easily accessible.

Visitors to the Scottish East Coast will be utterly seduced by the landscape that falls into the North Sea. Places like Montrose and Stonehaven capture the feel of this part of the country perfectly are really give you a sense of being off the beaten track, whilst still being able to provide all the home comforts of a well-sized town. If you’re into walking, then be sure to check out some of the popular hiking routes along the coast.

Aberdeen City

The biggest city in this part of North East Scotland is Aberdeen. The city is famous for its connection to the North Sea oil industry, but there is a lot here for visitors to see and do as tourists. If a golf trip is what you’re looking for, some of the best courses in the world can be found near to the city itself. Staying in the city and driving out to the courses on offer is easily done without hassle or long trips.

The town itself is home to a stunning beach. If you’re lucky enough to get good weather and decent temperatures, the beach here is as good as anywhere else in the UK to soak up those elusive rays. Duthie Park is also a popular green space in the centre of the city that is an ideal quite spot for those who need it. Make sure you check out some of the best rated restaurants in Aberdeen to discover just how much the city has on the menu for its visitors!

 

While Aberdeen might be a relatively undiscovered place as a tourist destination, it is still a well-known name for people from the UK. However, the area surrounding the city in the North East of Scotland is full of undiscovered gems and places to seek out. If you want to get off the main trail without heading to the extreme North of the Highlands, then Aberdeenshire is the place to look out for.

You can start by looking a local guide content around some of the towns you can find in the area like Buckie. If a cycling holiday is what you’re looking for, moving between all these small hamlets and villages makes for a great itinerary and many people have written about the benefits of exploring the countryside in this way.

Tags: aberdeen, aberdeenshire, scotland, staycation

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.