Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Planning the Perfect Relaxing Staycation

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 26 March 2019 | Views [173]

With Easter only just around the corner, many of us are looking to book a bit of time away to recharge while the school holidays are in full flow. While it’s nice to be able to book a couple of days in the sun, many of us can find the very process of getting abroad for a holiday so stressful that it isn’t worth the hassle.

An increasing number of holiday goers are opting to take a UK-based staycation to keep the costs low and have a generally more relaxing time. If you’re thinking about travelling the country this Easter for a holiday, here are a few travel tips for Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Scotland

Having frequently been voted as the most beautiful country in the world, it should come as no surprise that many people flock North of the border to enjoy the beautiful Scottish countryside. Whether you want to take in the splendour of Glencoe, make an island visit to Skye, or wander the streets of Edinburgh’s old town, there is a holiday in Scotland for every type of tourist.

Travelling to certain parts of the country during the Easter break can be challenging during peak times, so allow for delays before you head north. It’s important to remember that the Scottish weather is changeable at best, so a good umbrella and a waterproof jacket is a necessity, no matter what you have planned. There are lots of different events and festivals happening across Scotland, so make sure you do your research and get involved!

England

England is such a diverse country, and a lot of international tourists find it difficult to look beyond London as a place to visit. Because of this, locals might have a bit more insider knowledge as to where would be a good place to take some time to recharge their batteries. Cornwall and the South West are regarded as being some of the prettiest seaside towns in the whole world. Here on a good day, you can hit the beach and even get a bit or surfing in if the sea conditions allow.

Elsewhere, you’ll find the Midlands to be a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of England’s more urban areas. The Belfry Hotel and Resort in Sutton Coldfield offers spa facilities that are amongst the best in the country. The idyllic English countryside makes it the perfect setting to unwind and destress over Easter.

Wales

There aren’t many places like North Wales when it comes to taking a hillwalking holiday. While you might find taller mountains in the Scottish Highlands, the accessibility of Snowdonia, coupled with the stunning views out towards the Irish sea make it incredibly with hikers and hillwalkers. There is a lot of camping you can do in this area as well if you feel the need to get out of the city and enjoy the fresh country air.

Elsewhere in Wales, the cities in the South offer their own unique taste of Welsh hospitality. Cardiff and Swansea are only a few miles apart on the Bristol channel but have their own character that gives a city break you’ll never forget.

Northern Ireland

Across the Irish sea, you’ll find another part of the UK that can be defined by its rural beauty and character. Northern Ireland has really established itself as a top UK tourist destination in the last couple of years as tv programmes like Game of Thrones have showcased it as a place to visit. The Giant’s Causeway is another top spot to visit for those who want to marvel at the geological peculiarities of the coastline.

Belfast has a reputation as a party town where visitors can enjoy a hearty Irish welcome. The Titanic Museum is a popular spot, and people come from across the globe to learn the history of the fateful cruise liner. With a bit of research, you can create a Belfast city break that suits your own pace and interests.

There is a lot to see and do across the whole country, and whether you want to go to Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, you can find a UK staycation where you can relax and unwind. 

Tags: staycation, travel, uk

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.