Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

What You Need to Know About Travel Vaccinations

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 5 December 2018 | Views [310]

Most of us are aware that there are certain places you can travel to where you will need to be properly vaccinated beforehand to protect you from local diseases. However, how much do we really know? How long before your trip should you be vaccinated? Where should you go for travel vaccination advice? Here we have put together a quick guide to help you understand what you need to know about travel vaccinations before you go.

Why Vaccines?

We all hope we won’t fall sick when travelling the world, but because our immune systems are being introduced to countries with different viruses and bugs than it’s experienced before we are, unfortunately, more likely to fall ill. Vaccinations are a way of safely introducing foreign and known viruses to your immune system so that if you become infected when travelling your body will already know how to fight them off.

When Should I Be Vaccinated?

It’s best not to leave vaccinations to the last minute in order to give your body time to build immunity. The recommended amount of time to be vaccinated before your travels is 4-6 weeks before. You should also check that for the particular vaccine you’re receiving that it’s just one dose you need as you may need to allow another few weeks if there are multiple doses.

Do I Need to Pay for Vaccines?

Many vaccinations for travel purposes are not free on the NHS so you will want to factor in the cost of these into your travel budget. Vaccinations like yellow fever can cost up to £150; although may sound expensive it is really worth the investment to protect you during your travels and will last up to ten years. On the other hand, vaccinations such as cholera, hepatitis A, typhoid, diphtheria, polo and tetanus are all free.

Where Can I Get Vaccinated?

The first port of call for travel vaccinations is your GP. Your GP or nurse can advise you on which vaccinations you will need for your chosen destination and how much these will cost. However, other places also offer travel vaccines such as local pharmacies and high street chains like Boots and Superdrug.

Staying Healthy

Many viruses are contracted by travellers when they are bitten by mosquitoes. It’s for this reason that it’s important to adequately protect yourself against mosquito bites. Sleeping with a net over your bed is one way to protect yourself in the night as well as making sure your arms and legs are covered when out and about. There are also a number of insect repellents you can wear to keep mosquitos at bay. The most effective repellents are those which contain DEET with products containing 50% DEET offering protection for up to 12 hours.

Important Considerations to Make

There are a few things to take into consideration when it comes to vaccinations and how at risk you are when it comes to contracting an infection. If you are old or young or in contact with animals, you will be more at risk. Other factors such as working with the sick and injured, where you’re staying, the time of year you travel and what you plan on doing which will all increase or decrease your risk of infection

Tags: technology, travel, travel industry, vaccinations

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.