Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

A Music Lovers Guide to Liverpool

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 20 December 2017 | Views [297]

If you were to travel back in time to 1947 and ask someone on the street what Liverpool was famous for they might tell you that it’s for building the Titanic, the Liverpool and Everton football clubs, and the Grand National. Today, though, many people will sound off the likes of The Beatles, Echo and the Bunnymen, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and the La’s.

Liverpool is a city that is proud of its musical heritage, and continues to produce world beating artists to this day.  Even now there are names to look out for that continue to cement the cities place on the British cultural map. Many people take pilgrimages here to follow in the footsteps of their favourite artists, so if you want to cover off the main spots, here’s where to look out for.


When you mention the Beatles to the average music fan, they’ll think of the 1967 Summer of Love, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts club Band, and the mop-topped Beatlemania of A Hard Day’s Night. Before John, Paul, George and Ringo conquered the musical world with their group-breaking rock and pop, they were playing the music clubs of 1950’s Liverpool.

None are more famous than the Cavern Club, where the Fab Four played 292 times between 1961 and 1963. The original location of the club was closed in the 70’s, a new location using the original bricks can now be found on Mathew Street, a few meters from the legendary club’s original location.

 Liverpool Philharmonic

As well as being a city that has a reputation of pop, Liverpool is also in touch with its classic style. There is no better place to celebrate this than the Liverpool Philharmonic, home to one of the country’s most highly respected orchestras.

There’s plenty on the programme for the coming year, with some of the world’s best musicians taking part.

The Baltic Fleet

“Dirty Maggie May, they have taken her away. And she’ll never walk down Lime Street any more…” The immortal words to the traditional folk song that is somewhat of an unofficial anthem to the city. Liverpool being a city with a strong maritime heritage has a strong connection to folk music, thanks in part to its Irish immigrant population from the early half of the twentieth century.

In the heart of the dockland, you’ll find the Baltic Fleet pub; one of the last surviving sailor pubs in the city. The Baltic has been a haven for sea-goers since for the beat part of two hundred years, and many of the traditional songs can be found here on a folk music night. Make sure you get a pint before the tunes start!

Liverpool is a vibrant and friendly city. Visitors always talk about the hospitality, and there’s plenty of quality hotels to choose from. Getting out in the streets and in the venues is the best way to experience the music scene. You might even be lucky enough to stumble upon a star of tomorrow. Given Liverpool’s track record here, the odds are high! 

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.