Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Switching Off: The Digital Detox

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 5 October 2017 | Views [372]

How often do you check your phone? Your social media? News websites? Do you sometimes feel you rely too much on digital technology? I certainly do, and I’ve started to wonder what effect that has on my happiness. So I had a look into a recent trend - the digital detox.

Digital technology – particularly social media - has definitely been a force for good in our lives. We’re more connected to each other than ever before. But has the rise in the use of social media made us out of step with reality? Ironically, has social media made us less social in real life? Digital technology has been increasingly incorporated into our working lives as well. Not only do many of us use a computer all day at work, but we often take laptops home, check emails on our phones, and join social networks for business mingling.

But people are now making an effort to escape all forms of digital technology for as much as a month or as little as a few hours. Even Ed Sheeran’s at it. In December 2015, he announced on Instagram that he was “taking a break” from all social media and emails. He said, “I've had such an amazing ride over the last five years but I find myself seeing the world through a screen and not my eyes so I'm taking this opportunity of me not having to be anywhere or do anything to travel the world and see everything I missed.”

Of course, as with every new trend, a number of companies have capitalised on it.

Digital Detox, whose mantra is ‘Disconnect to Reconnect’, offers digital-free retreats that equip you with the tools to lead a balanced life, enabling you to disconnect from technology every once in a while. The company offer a variety of ‘detox’ options from tech-free retreats for individuals offering yoga, mindfulness and reflection to large corporate tech-free away days.

Slightly more corporate in their focus is the similarly named Digital Detoxing. They offer businesses ‘Return on Adventure’ rather than ‘Return on Investment’ with 3 day and week-long outdoor adventures. They also offer digital culture training and healthy workplace audits with the mantra ‘Technology should be your enabler, not your enslaver'.

How to create your own digital detox

These companies have cleverly tapped into a desire to rally against technology pervading too much of our every-day lives. But there are simple steps you can take and create your own digital detox if you are smart and organised.

Reduce your phone notifications

Do you get a notification on your phone anytime someone tags you in something on Facebook or Instagram? Make use of your phone notification settings and turn off notifications for apps that often distract you. If breaking off all notifications is a bit too much at first, why not dedicate a certain timeslot for notifications to be turned off? This also goes for work emails – turn off notifications when you leave work.

Make your bedroom a digital free zone

Considering the fact that studies have shown that light from electronic devices is enough to promote wakefulness and affect our sleep, it’s a good idea to remove screens from your bedroom. This will give you a space to truly switch off at the end of the day. Reading a book is a great way to wind down before bed, so why not get into the habit of reading each night before bed?

Organise your own tech-free weekend

While there are numerous companies that offer digital detoxes, you don't need to fork out to have your own tech-free weekend. Camping is naturally a great way to do this. With thousands of campsites around the UK you could take the opportunity to explore the UK and the numerous beautiful locations it has to offer – all without the need for your smartphone.

My favourite way of detoxing, both digitally and generally is a luxurious spa break. A weekend of being pampered by professionals and, as mentioned before, a good book. Paperback, of course. No Kindle.

While technology undoubtedly plays a role in bettering our lives, it is important to switch off every once in a while – however hard that may be to some. A digital detox allows us to reconnect with each other face to face and redress the work/life balance. So go on, switch off your mobile phone and begin your analogue odyssey!

 

Tags: relaxation, stress-free

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.