Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Why You Should Consider Taking Your Next Holiday In The Trossachs

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 24 December 2016 | Views [351]

Loch Lomond, Scotland

Loch Lomond, Scotland

When the holiday season comes round, and everyone starts booking to go abroad, it’s all too easy to set your heart on somewhere in Southern Europe, such as Spain, Italy or Greece. A lot of us fail to remember that if you take a half hour drive from the centre of Glasgow, there is a mini holiday paradise in the form the Trossachs. The Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park is an area to the central West of Scotland that covers nearly 2,000 square kilometres.

The scenery is just as breath-taking as what you would find in the highlands, but is a much easier place to get to and navigate. So this year, if you’re wanting to avoid the inevitable delays and stress that comes with trying to take a flight to Malaga, why not head North to see what the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs has to offer. Here’s five reasons why you should think about it;

Loch Lomond

Considered as the boundary between the lowlands and the highlands, Loch Lomond is the UK’s largest inland stretch of water. Forever immortalised in the traditional song The Bonnie Banks o’ Loch Lomond, there is lots to see and do here. If you’re a fan of water sports, there are a number of companies that offer a range of activities including wake boarding, kayaks, rowing boats and windsurfing.

West Highland Way

The area around Loch Lomond makes up a significant part of the West Highland Way. Stretching 154.5 km from the town of Milngavie to Fort William, people travel from all over the world to tackle one of Scotland’s most famous walks. The whole route requires walkers to camp and typically takes around a week to complete. It’s definitely not a task for a casual hiker, but if you’re staying in the Trossachs area, sections of the walk make for some stunning scenery. There are lots of maps and guides online that show where best to join the route and points of interest along the way.

Ben Lomond

Standing at 974m on the Eastern shore of Loch Lomond, Ben Lomond is arguably Scotland’s most popular Munro. An estimated 30,000 people reach the summit every year, making it the place to be if you’re in the mood for hillwalking. On a clear day, the views from the top make the 2.5 hour ascent all the more rewarding. Back at the bottom, there’s plenty of cafes and shops in the town of Balmaha for a well-earned drink afterwards!

Glengoyne Distillery

No trip to any part of Scotland would be complete without a trip to a traditional whisky distillery. To the south of the Trossachs, you’ll find just that in the form of the Glengoyne Distillery. Set at the foot of Dumgoyne, this distillery has been crafting world beating single malts for the best part of two centuries. In-depth tours run regularly, and full details can be found on their website. A fine whisky like this is best enjoyed in fine surroundings, such as the nearby Macdonald Forest Hills hotel whose Rafters Bar offers an unbeatable selection of whiskies and malts.

Sea Life Aquarium

For nature lovers who’d like to get an insight into the native wildlife to the area, then the Loch Lomond Sea Life Aquarium is definitely the place to be. Open all year round, this top tourist attraction is home to over 500 sea creatures, including sharks, otters, and the only giant sea turtle in Scotland. If you’re not quite up to getting your hands wet, then the Loch Lomond Shores shopping centre is right next door for those in need of a little retail therapy.

There is plenty to see, do and experience in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, so get ready to have an experience that is unique to you! 

Tags: hillwalking, loch lomond, scotland, walking, west highland way

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.